Visa & Residence Permit

Non-EU Nationals from EU Countries

Please note:

In May 2016, the European parliament has passed the directive (EU) 2016/801 which is intended to facilitate the mobility of non-EU students within EU countries.

Non-European students don't need to apply for a visa at the German Embassy anymore. Instead, the International Office of Ulm University will file a request with the Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge (BAMF /Federal Office for Migration and Refugees) to the effect that the study visa and residence permit of the other EU country will be recognized in Germany. At the end of this procedure, the BAMF will issue a Certificate of Mobility for those students.

Students will receive this Certificate of Mobility after arrival in Ulm. If they have a Schengen visa for study purposes in the country of the home university/sending university, they can enter Germany on that visa.

For this purpose, please submit the necessary documentation to the International Office of Ulm University so we can make the necessary arrangements according to the new procedure.

Documents to Submit to the International Office

You must send copies of the following documents to the International Office, so we can register you with the BAMF (Federal Office for Migration and Refugees) and apply for a Certificate of Mobility:

  • residence permit of the EU member state of the home university/sending university (valid longer than your intended stay in Germany)
  • valid passport (valid longer than your intended stay in Germany)
  • proof of subsistence (see here for instructions)
  • proof of European Health Insurance

Ideally, these documents should be received together with the other application documents at the application deadline. The proof of subsistence may be submitted up to four weeks later. Yet, they must reach us at least two months before the date on which plan to start your studies in Germany.

Registration at the Citizens' Office and applying for a Residence Permit (After Arrival in Ulm)

Non-EU nationals coming in the framework of an exchange or mobility programme from a EU partner university for studies do not need to apply for a residence permit. This is covered by the Certificate of Mobility.

However, after arrival they have to report to the “Einwohnermeldeamt” (residence registration office) or "Bürgeramt" (citizens' office) and register their address in Germany. They should bring with them

  • passport
  • residence permit of the state of the home university / sending institution
  • certificate of mobility (from BAMF)
  • proof of acceptance/admission/immatriculation at the university
  • so called "Wohnungsgeberbestätigung" (to be filled out and signed by the landlord or property owner of your accommodation)

The “Einwohnermeldeamt” or "Bürgeramt" will issue a "Meldebescheinigung" (residence registration certificate). They should safeguard this document, i.e. they should keep the original with their other documents in their room and carry a copy of it with their passport or ID card.

The Member States of the European Union (EU)

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark,  Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania,  Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Hungary


Incoming Students Support Team

Advising (online)
Tuesdays, 16:00-17:00, CET.

Zoom Link