Application Forms and Instructions for Exchange Students

Application Deadlines + Contact Information

Fall Semester ("Wintersemester")
Exchange Period starting in September/October

March 31

Spring Semester ("Sommersemester")
Exchange Period starting in March/April

September 30

Clinical Hospital Rotation Periods
only available for two full months during July and August

January 31

Individual Periods
(Final Thesis/Project Work)

At least 6 months
in advance

Application Procedure

All students need to be nominated by their home university first.
We will then send you a registration link for our Online Platform "Mobility Online".
From 2019/20 on, only applications via "Mobility Online"  will be accepted.

Mobility Online Manual

No handwriting - Use the computer to fill out all forms. Forms filled out manually will not be processed!

If PDF-forms are opened in your browser, you may not be able to fill them out electronically. Then you must save them to your computer first. If you only have Acrobat Reader, you will not be able to save the completed forms. Print out the forms immediately before closing the file.

Placements / Traineeships

Ulm University does not manage work placements/traineeships in industry on the basis of bilateral agreements.


Incoming Students Support Team

Alexandra Hoppe (Incoming Students Coordinator)
Emily Haible (Student Advisor)
Linh Nguyen (Student Advisor)

Advising (online)
Wednesdays 16:00 - 17:00 CET


No Tuition Fees for Exchange Students

Exchange Students studying for one or two exchange semesters at Ulm University in the frame of a bilateral or Baden-Wuerttemberg Exchange Agreement are exempt from paying tuition fees (€ 1.500 per semester). The same applies to Double Degree Students if the mutual agreement between Ulm University and their home institution includes a tuition waiver at the partner institution (which is usually the case).

A transcript of records is a listing of all courses you have taken at your university up to date, including course title, credits and grade of the courses. You must submit an official document, issued/verified by your university or faculty.

If you already have a university degree (e.g. Bachelor or Master), please submit a copy of your diploma of this degree. In addition, please submit a transcript of records listing all courses which you have taken since completion of this degree.

However, if these transcripts are in a language other than German, English, French, Spanish, we kindly ask that you prepare a translation (either German or English) for it.

Learning Agreements are useful if you want to transfer credits from Ulm University to your home university. We suggest that you use our current forms, because they are a type of communication between you and us about your planned study program. The International Office forwards your applications to the coordinators of your planned study program(s) for review and they indicate on the learning agreement, if you can take the courses you have chosen or if it is possible to arrange for the hospital rotations you have requested. Therefore please do not write into the grey shaded areas on these forms.

We have three different types of Learning Agreements:

Of course it is possible to combine e.g. courses and thesis. If this is the case, please fill out Learning Agreements of each appropriate type. At the end of each form you find detailed instructions.

Notice to medical students: Hospital rotations cannot be combined with any other courses (also no language courses), because hospital assignments are full time. Also, we do not offer thesis supervision for medical students.

Other Forms

Many universities have their own version of the "learning agreement" form. If your institution insists that you use their form, please always submit it in addition to our forms with the rest of the application documents.

Course Options at Ulm University Choose English Language > Click on "Courses" > Click on "Search for Lectures" > Choose the respective semester > Choose "English" as "Language of Instruction" to see all English taught courses / Choose "German" to see all German courses listed. - If courses for the forthcoming semester(s) are not listed yet, please choose the respective semester(s) in the actual or previous academic year!

The Certificate of Language Proficiency (pdf) must be signed by the

  • EXCHANGE coordinator or
  • a language teacher at the home university or
  • an official institution, as e.g. Goethe Institute (confirmations by private techers are not considered valid)

If you are planning to attend courses in both, English and German, you must submit a certificate for each language!

If you are planning to choose the majority of your courses from English taught MSc programs and you are not a native speaker you must submit a TOEFL ibt result of 88 minimum or IELTS result of 6.5 minimum.
For the study programs Advanced Materials, Chemical Engineering, Energy Science and Technology, Biophysics, Molecular and Translational Neuroscience: TOEFL ibt - 95 minimum or IELTS – 7.0


If you want the International Office to make a reservation for a room in one of the student residences for you, you must also submit a Housing Application Form.