Grades & Exams
|Sehr gut||Gut ||Befriedigend ||Ausreichend || |
Exam Period I: Last week during lecture period + the following three weeks after lecture period.
Exam Period II: 3 weeks before the beginning of the next semester lecture period + first week of next semester lecture period.
Sometimes, exams can also be scheduled on an individual basis.
For actual dates check the Academic Calendar
Temporary non-degree students cannot register online for exams like German students who are doing the complete degree here (this has to do with the computer system / database in the Studiensekretariat). It is important to tell this to professors - and to tell them that you want to take a certain exam, so they know you are coming and have enough question sheets for everybody.
Consequently, professors cannot enter your grade into the computer system / database like they do for degree-students. Instead, they have to issue a certificate about your results. This certificate is called a "Schein" in German.
A "Schein" template is available for download here.
Please note: the language center (ZSP - "Sprachenzentrum") does not use this form - they have their own.
"Scheine" are not automatically sent to the International Office. You must pick them up from the professor's office (or the secretary's office) or from the Sprachenzentrum yourself and hand them in at the International Office!
Only the "Scheine" for the intensive German language course are issued by the International Office and can be picked up there. You will receive an eMail, once they are ready.
Medical Students do not need to collect "Scheine" (certificates) for their courses in medicine or for clinical rotations. The dean of studies office will automaticall issue a transcript of records.
There is currently no automatic grade reporting for temporary non-degree students at Ulm University, nor can these students sign up electronically via the Hochschulportal to participate in exams. In order to receive a Transcript of Records, exchange students must collect course certificates (Scheine) for each class they took (whether passed successfully or failed). Here is an overview of the process:
1. Collect Scheine
- Downoad the Schein template and save it on your computer.
- Complete the top part of the Schein template (page 2) for each course you want to be reported on your transcript of records.
- Send the teachers of your courses the respective template and ask them to complete the second part (page 2) and send the completed Schein template to the International Office, preferrably by eMail to firstname.lastname@example.org. There are instructions for the teachers on the first page of the Schein template.
- The Zentrum für Sprachen und Philologie (ZSP) has its own forms. Inform the teachers that these Scheine should also be sent to the International Office, preferrably by eMail to email@example.com.
2. Request a Transcript of Records
- Please fill out the transcript form
- Erasmus / Exchange students: please download this form from mobility-online and upload the completed form. Important: the transcript form must be in .doc format for upload!
- Free movers may use the Transcript of Records Request Form and send it to the International Office.
⚠️ Please be sure to fill in the course codes of all your courses. You can look them up in the Vorlesungsverzeichnis (course catalogue). ⚠️
⚠️ Make sure that the course information on the Schein template and in the transcript form corresponds to the information in the final version of your learning agreement to avoid irritation with your home university in the recognition process. ⚠️
Medical students will receive a transcript of records of all their medical courses and electives issued by the medical faculty.
They only need to fill out the Schein template and the transcript form if they have taken courses outside the Medical faculty which they would like to have documented.
Please allow at least 5 weeks for the finalization of your transcript of records after all the Scheine (course certificates) have been received by the International Office.