Exchange Opportunities and Application Process
With Erasmus+ to the GUC!
Starting in January 2021, it will be possible to receive Erasmus+ funding for a 1-2 semester study stay at the German University in Cairo (GUC). If you are interested in studying at the GUC, please feel free to contact us at least six months before the planned mobility. The application documents can be found below.
Of course nobody can predict how the COVID-19 pandemic will develop. It is possible that the GUC will cancel the exchange on short notice, or that new entry or exit restrictions will prevent mobility. The study at the GUC might be carried out completely or partially online. We are looking into virtual mobility or blended mobility opportunities, if the study abroad is partly completed in presence at the host university and partly virtually from home.
- Application form
- current transcript of records
- Certificate of enrolment
- Attestation/ certificates (you can find more information in the application form)
- Proof of volunteer work (optional)
- Confirmation of MA thesis supervision (if you plan to write your MA thesis at the GUC)
What are the benefits of an Erasmus+ Mobility to the GUC?
A study stay at the GUC with Erasmus+ enables students to broaden their social and cultural skills and improve their career prospects. They get to know the academic system of a foreign university as well as its teaching and learning methods.
Advantages of studying abroad:
- Academic recognition of academic achievements abroad;
- Exemption from tuition fees at the host university;
- Support for additional costs incurred abroad through a scholarship (one-time travel allowance of 360 €, monthly scholarship of 700 €):
- Support in preparation (cultural, linguistic, organizational);
- Special grants for students with children and for students with disabilities.
Who can be supported, how often and for how long?
In order to be eligible for a scholarship you need to be enrolled at Ulm University for a full degree program. At the beginning of the stay abroad, the first year of one’s studies must be completed.
- In the Bachelor's program, students usually go abroad in the third year; experience shows that the second year is too early.
- In the Master's program, students can go abroad with Erasmus+ from the first semester onwards.
- Students of medicine can only go abroad after completing their preliminary medical examination.
A mobility for study purposes needs to have a minimum length of 3 months (90 days) in order to be eligible for support; the maximum duration is 12 months (360 days).
Language skills and language certificates
In order to study at the GUC, you must have a good command of English (at least B2). A language certificate is not necessary, the language skills will be proven in a personal interview.
Information about successful application
Applicants will be contacted within six weeks after the application deadline and informed of the selection committee's decision.
Entry and Visa
A visa is usually required for a study stay in Egypt. Further information on this topic can be found here.