Visa & Residence Permit

Non-EU Nationals

Applying for a Visa (Before Departure to Ulm)

Students who do not have the nationality of one of the European Union membership states (non-EU nationals) need a visa to enter Germany. However, there are a few exceptions to this rule. See: list of countries whose citizens require / do not require a visa to enter Germany

Detailed information by the German Federal Foreign Office.

Information on how to provide Proof of Financial Resources / Proof of Subsistence

Please contact us if you need an additional letter or fax to support your visa application. However, in most cases, it will be sufficient if you present the original of the acceptance notification which you will receive from us by regular mail.

Start early!

You should start your visa application process as soon as you have applied for a stay at Ulm University! Do not wait until you have received a formal acceptance letter, because:

  • It might take up to six weeks to arrange a personal appointment with the nearest German embassy or consulate.

  • It might take another 4-6 weeks until visa application has been approved.

In case you do not get your visa in time, you should not enter Germany on a tourist visa. It is not possible to convert it to a student visa after arrival!

Applying for a Residence Permit (After Arrival in Ulm)

International students who are not EU-nationals need to

  • report to the “Einwohnermeldeamt” (residence registration office) or "Bürgeramt" (citizens' office) and register their address in Germany
  • apply for an "Aufenthaltserlaubnis" (residence permit) valid for the duration of their study period at a German university; this permit is issued by the "Ausländerbehörde" (foreigners registration office) of the city of residence in Germany.

The following documents have to be presented at these offices:

  • Passport
  • Proof of acceptance/admission/immatriculation at the university
  • rental contract
  • so called "Wohnungsgeberbestätigung" (to be filled out and signed by the landlord or property owner of your accommodation)
  • application for residence permit
  • 1 biometrical passports picture
  • Proof of financial resources
  • Proof of health insurance valid in Germany

The residence permit is no longer a "sticky label" which is attached to your passport. Nowadays, it is a credit card size document with a variety of electronic functions which has been adopted throughout the European Union, called "elektronischer Aufenthaltstitel" (eAT).  Costs:

  • Up to 1 year: € 100 / more than 1 year: € 110
  • Extension up to 3 months: € 65 / more than 3 months: € 80

More information on the Electronic Residence Title

The Member States of the European Union (EU)

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark,  Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania,  Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Hungary


Incoming Students Support Team

Advising (online)
Tuesdays, 16:00-17:00, CET.

Zoom Link