Residents' registration office Ulm

Stadt Ulm (Bürgerdienste)
Olgastraße 66
89073 Ulm

Opening hours

For residence registration: Abteilung Melde- und Ausländerwesen, Dienstleistungszentren (only in German!)

For citizenship: Sachgebiet Ausländer- und Staatsangehörigkeitswesen (only in German!)

Students coming from non-EU countries have to show their temporary visa and apply for an electronic residence permit (eAT) in addition to their registration. This can be done at the same office.

Residents' registration office Neu-Ulm

Bürgerbüro der Stadt Neu-Ulm
Petrusplatz 15
89231 Neu-Ulm

Registration (only in German!)

Landratsamt Neu-Ulm
Kantstraße 8
89231 Neu-Ulm

Opening hours (only in German!)

Contact information (only in German!)

Students living in Neu-Ulm have to register at the Bürgerbüro (even if they study at Ulm University or Ulm University of Applied Sciences).

Non-EU citizens must register at the Bürgerbüro and apply for their electronic residence permit (eAT) at the Landratsamt. You need to get your application for your residence permit stamped at the Bürgerbüro and present it in combination with your visa at the Landratsamt.

Living outside of Ulm/Neu-Ulm

Register at the city hall of the city you live in and ask there for the procedure. You can also check the information on the webpage of your city.

Residents' registration office / foreigners' registration office

All residents in Germany are required by law to register at the registration office of the town they move to within two weeks after arrival.

Documents you need to present when registering at your local registration office

  • Valid identity card (EU-citizens) / passport (non-EU-citizens)
  • Confirmation of enrolment or the admission to study (in the latter case you need to hand in your confirmation of enrolment later)
  • Confirmation of residency from your landlord (Wohnungsgeberbestätigung)
  • If applicable: data of spouse
  • In addition, non-EU members need to present their temporary visa and apply for an electronic residence permit (elektronischer Aufenthaltstitel, eAT)

When you return to your home country, you have to unregister at the same office you registered at upon your arrival in Ulm/Neu-Ulm. You can unregister one week before you move out at the earliest and you will need your ID card/passport and the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung confirming your move. Even if you move within Ulm/Neu- Ulm, you have to present the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung about your move to your new place of residence to the Bürgerdienste/Bürgerbüro in Ulm or Neu-Ulm.

If you are a degree seeking student in your first semester (Erst-/Neueinschreibung) and registering your main place of residence (Hauptwohnsitz) in Ulm for the first time, you might be given one free Semester Ticket (for public transportation) from the city under certain further conditions. You can find more information about the  Semesterticket here.

Documents required to apply for an electronic residence permit

You have to apply for your electronic residence permit in person and at least 4 to 8 weeks before your temporary visa expires. If you live in Ulm, you will have to go to the Einwohnermeldeamt – Abteilung Melde- und Ausländerwesen (Olgastraße 66, 89073 Ulm), if you live in Neu-Ulm, please go to the Landratsamt - Ausländerbehörde (Kantstraße 8, 89231 Neu-Ulm). In order to apply for an electronic residence permit, your fingerprints will be stored.

Please bring the following documents:

  • 1 passport-sized biometric photograph
  • Your passport
  • Neu-Ulm: your confirmation of registration
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Proof of financial means (e.g. a confirmation of ascholarship or a statement from your parents documenting the amount of their monthly financial support - but at least € 720.00) or a current bank statement.

Charges: for first issuing: €100; for extension: €96 (except scholarship holders of German public institutions)