Family Affairs

Family reunion visa

If your spouse and/or children want to join you in Germany, they may apply for a family reunion visa at the German Embassy or Consulate in your home country. In order to apply for a family reunion visa, you must already hold a residence permit for the length of your research stay in Germany. Furthermore, you have to be able to financially support and have sufficient accommodation for both you and your family. Please note that it may be necessary for your spouse to have basic German language skills. As soon as your studies in Germany end, the family visa will expire.

Visa requirements differ between countries. Therefore, please consult with the German Embassy or Consulate in your home country for further information specific to your country regarding family reunion visas. You can locate the German Missions in your country here.

Pediatrics in Ulm

You can get a list of doctors at every pharmacy (Apotheke) or the yellow pages (Gelbe Seiten). In addition, there are also some websites on which the doctors’ specialties and locations are listed. For more information about Pediatrics in Ulm, click here or here.

Day Care Centers and Kindergartens

For the Employees of the Ulm Univeristy

Ulm University provides for the employees and junior scientists (including doctoral students) childcare places until school entry. On this website you will find further information as well as the necessary documents for the registration.

For enrolled doctoral candidates at Ulm University

Children of the enrolled doctoral students can also attend the "Flohzirkus" Day Care Center of the Studierendenwerk from the age of nine weeks up to the age of three years old. More information and the registration form can be found here.

Further childcare facilities in Ulm and Neu-Ulm

The family office of the city of Ulm supports parents in finding suitable care facilities for their children and also offers a wide range of counseling services. 

For the Neu-Ulm resident doctoral candidates more information can be found here.

Finding the right School in Germany

If you need to choose an appropriate school for your school-aged child, the “Make it in Germany” website offers a helpful introduction to the German school system. For more information about choosing the right school, please check the information platform “Expatica”.

The website of the "Internationale Stadt" informs about the possibilities in Ulm and Neu-Ulm. Comprehensive information about each public school in Ulm can be found here (only in German).

Financial benefits

If you have children or if you are expecting a child, the German government provides a variety of financial assistance and additional protection rights depending on your type of residence title. The most important ones are listed below.

An outline of German family policy and every possible assistance can be found on the website of The Federal Ministry of Family, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth (only in German). A very helpful online resource is the “Familien-Wegweiser” information portal (only in German).  

Child Benefit (Kindergeld)

In Germany, parents of children who are under the age of 18 are entitled to child benefit (Kindergeld).Child benefit is paid for every child. Its monthly amount is irrespective of the parents’ income and adds up to 190€ for the first and second child, 196€ for the third child and 221€ for every subsequent child.

For more information, please consult the Federal Ministry’s website and/or the information provided by the Studierendenwerk

Maternity Benefit (Mutterschutz)

If you are expecting a child you enjoy maternity protection (Mutterschutz) in a period of 6 weeks prior and 8 weeks following delivery. During this period, you may qualify for maternity pay (Mutterschaftsgeld). Additionally, you enjoy certain protection rights as an employee. Click here for more information.  

Parental Allowance (Elterngeld)

After the birth of a child, parents are entitled to parental allowance (Elterngeld) if they take care of their children by themselves. Parents allowance is paid to the father and/or mother for a maximum of 14 months with an amounts of a minimum of 300€ and a maximum of €1,800 per month. During the receipt of parental allowance, it is still possible to work up to 30 hours per week under certain conditions. For more details, please check the website of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees.


Family & Science at Ulm University

External content

To use this content (Source: ), please click to Accept. We would like to point out that by accepting this iframes data to third parties transmitted or cookies could be stored.

You can find further information in our Privacy policy..

Car Seats for children

For short time travels by car, it is possible to<link file:54748> rent safe car seats for your children at the International Office.