Health insurance

  • All students in Germany must have health insurance (from a private or a public health insurance provider). Without valid health insurance you cannot enrol at any university in Gemany!
  • Monthly student rates consist of: health insurance + long-term care insurance + individual supplemental premium as defined by the health insurance provider. Therefore the amount students pay varies slightly – depending on the supplemental premium of their health insurance provider. On average, student health insurance costs about € 90.
  • Exceptions:
    • Students 30 or older
    • Students who have already completed their 14th semester
    • Doctoral candidates
    • Students who work more than 20 hours per week
    • Students, who are covered by family health insurance:
      • Up to the age of 25 some students are included in to the parental health insurance plan.
      • Married students: only one of the marriage partners needs to pay the health insurance, the spouse is then automatically covered by the family health insurance.

Students who are not entitled to public health insurance, must seek out private health insurance or take a voluntary insurance policy (freiwillige Versicherung) with a public insurance provider. The monthly rates for voluntary insurance will be higher than the student health insurance. Rates of private health insurances can differ from provider to provider.

Students from countries that have a mutual social security agreement with Germany

Students from EU countries and from Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, Tunisia and Turkey do not need to purchase health insurance in Germany, they only need to provide proof of health insurance from their home countries. Get an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) from your insurance provider. 

Students who want to use their private health insurance from their home country in Germany

Students with private health insurance from their home country need to bring a confirmation in English or German stating that all costsare covered in case of medical treatment. This document allows them to submit an application with a public health insurance provider for exemption from the German statutory health insurance. Travel insurance itself is not sufficient for this purpose.

Students who wish to seek medical advice in another language can find out about foreign language doctors and psychotherapists in the surrounding area thanks to the search engines on the pages of the Regional Association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians (Kassenärztliche Vereinigung) of Baden-Württemberg and Bavaria (only in German!).

Public health insurance providers

There are various public health insurance providers in Ulm and Neu-Ulm. You can freely select any health insurance.

  • Allgemeine Ortskrankenkasse Ulm (AOK)
    Contact person for the Ulm University and Ulm University of Applied Sciences:
    Ms. Stefanie Rumpus, Schwambergerstraße 14, 89073 Ulm
    Tel. +49 (0)0731 168-162, stefanie.rumpus(at), Link

         Contact person for the University of Applied Sciences Neu-Ulm:
         Mr. Moritz Ebner, Jahnstraße 6, 89312 Günzburg
         Tel. +49 (0)8221 94-369, moritz.ebner(at), Link

  • Barmer GEK
    Münchener Straße 17, 89073 Ulm
    Tel. +49 (0)800 333 1010, Link
  • Deutsche Angestellten Krankenkasse (DAK)
    Bahnhofstraße 17, 89073 Ulm
    Tel. +49 (0)731/7157880, Link (only in German!)

Private health insurance

If you are older than 30 years or have already started with the 15th Fachsemester (semester in the programme) then you need to buy private health insurance or a voluntary insurance with a public health insurance provider (the rate of which is higher than student rates). The rates of private health insurances are calculated on an individual basis and vary strongly.

Students from EU/EWR countries with private health insurance cover from their home countries have to submit a certification of their health insurance. In case of illness they need to pay for all medical treatment and medicine in Germany and then coordinate the reimbursement of the cost with their health insurance provider in their home countries.

You can find affordable private health insurances in these internet portals (only in German!): here, here or here

Private travel or emergency insurances are NOT ACCEPTED. They might be required to apply for a visa, but they are not accepted for university enrolment nor by the Ausländerbehörde (foreigners' registration authority).