Seeing a Doctor or a Dentist

  • In many countries, it is customary to go to the ambulance at a hospital first if you get ill. In Germany, you only go to the ambulance in case of an emergency (Emergency Numbers) or at night or weekends, when the doctors‘ offices are closed.

  • Everybody should have a general practitioner as personal doctor. You should find a doctor for yourself before you get ill. Doctors usually have large signs outside their offices. Look around in your neighborhood. Also check the web (only in German!) or Yellow Pages. The best way is probably a recommendation by a friend or neighbor.

  • The dental clinic of Ulm University off ers a wide range of dental treatments. A special off er is the student treatment course, in which the treatments are carried out inexpensively by the students under the supervision of licensed dentists.
    Tel. +49 (0)731/500 64110, Webpage of the University Depatment of Conservativ Dentistry and Periodontology (only in German!)
  • In order to treat patients of public insurance companies, doctors need to have a contract with those companies. On their signs it will usually say "Alle Kassen". If it says "Privatpraxis", even clients of public health insurances will get treated as private patients, i.e. they have to pay their bills themselves, but they will only get a small part refunded by their insurance.

  • Please bring your health insurance or EHIC card every time you go to see the doctor or dentist.

  • For in-hospital treatment, you have to make a co-payment of 10,00 € a day. Maximum is for 28 days in a year.


  • You will receive all medically required drugs. They are obtained from dispensing pharmacies (Apotheke).
  • The co-payment for prescribed drugs is 5,00 € to 10,00 € in most cases.