Students often get cheaper tickets. Just show your student ID card and ask for a student discount at the entrance.
During the semester, there are a lot of student parties at Ulm University, Ulm University of Applied Sciences, the University of Applied Sciences Neu-Ulm and also at the student residences. Students often receive free admission along with food/drink vouchers if they register on the respective party’s web page to help out for 2-3 hours (e.g. during preparation or at the bar). You will find posters and flyers announcing the latest events everywhere at your university.
Upcoming student events can also be found on www.uni-ulm.de/party (only in German!)
Bars run by students:
- Cat (alternative metal concerts and parties), Prittwitzstraße 36, www.cat-ulm.de (only in German!)
- Jazzkeller Sauschdall (jazz concerts, Game&Jam, parties), Prittwitzstraße 36, www.sauschdall.de (only in German!)
- Studentencafé (free concerts and parties), Stuttgarter Straße 15, www.studentencafe.de (only in German!)
The cinemas in Ulm usually show movies in German, but sometimes also in other languages or with subtitles. The website www.kino-ulm.de (only in German!) gives an overview of the weekly programme in the different cinemas.
Important: If you want to get a student discount, do not forget to bring your student ID (and your passport/identity card)! At Xinedome and Dietrich Theater, only students younger than 27 can get a student discount.
- The Unikino (only in German!) at Ulm University shows mainstream movies. Cheap tickets for students.
- Xinedome (only in German!), multiplex, Am Lederhof 1, 89073 Ulm, Tel. +49 (0)731/1402020
- Dietrich-Theater (only in German!), multiplex, Marlene-Dietrich-Str. 1, 89231 Neu-Ulm, Tel. +49 (0)731/9855598
- Open air cinema (only in German!), Schwimmbad SSV Ulm, Stadionstraße 17, 89077 Ulm, Tel. +49 (0)731/65400
The summer season starts at the end of July and ends in mid September. You can buy your ticket for the open air cinema in the pre-sale or from 8.00 p.m. on the respective day. In case of changeable or bad weather, you can check on the website - after 6:30 p.m. - whether the film will be shown or not. The film starts at dusk.
- “Cineasta” (only in German!) is a group of students of Ulm University who organise movie nights at different venues. The entrance fee for students varies depending on the venue, but is approximately €3.50.
- Lichtburg (only in German!), Frauenstraße 61, 89073 Ulm, Tel. +49 (0)731/88015171
- Obscura (only in German!), art house, Schillerstraße 1, 89077 Ulm, Tel. +49 (0)731/6022858
- Mephisto (only in German!), art house, Rosengasse 15, 89073 Ulm, Tel. +49 (0)731/6021218
- Kammer-Lichtspiele, Hirschstraße 12, 89073 Ulm
The “International Summer-Night-Festival“ (Internationales SommerNachtsFest, SoNaFe) has been taking place every summer term for more than 20 years and is organised by a team of students. It is the biggest party at Ulm University and offers an amazing open air ambience in the inner courtyard of the west side of Ulm University with live bands, DJs, a beer garden (opens at 5.00 p.m.) and a big variety of delicious international food.
More information: www.sonafe.de (only in German!)
Ulmer Zelt (Ulm tent)
The “Ulmer Zelt“ is a big tent set up in the Friedrichsau (big park in Ulm at the banks of the Danube) from the end of May until the beginning of July. Every night, renowned artists from all over the world give concerts or perform plays and cabarets. Outside the tent is a huge beer garden, where you might also hear the music playing inside the tent. Students get a discount with their student ID.
www.ulmerzelt.de (only in German!)
Schwörwoche (Oath Week)
… is the most famous festival in Ulm and its surrounding area, with lots of activities in and around the city. It takes place in the last week of July. At dusk on the Saturday before Schwörmontag (Oath Monday), the Danube turns into a fantastic river of lights and music. Thousands of candles swim down the river (Lichterserenade).
Since 1662, the “‘Fischerstechen”, a kind of knight’s tournament on the Danube, has been taking place every four years on two dates. At about 11 a.m. on Schwörmontag, the mayor of the City of Ulm swears to serve the people of Ulm from a balcony in the Weinhof. In the afternoon, after the mayor’s historical speech, the “Nabada” takes place. This resembles a carneval procession in which everyone may participate. Many parties and concerts around the city invite to celebrate until late at night. Numerous businesses and offices are closed in the afternoon of Schörmontag.
For more information, check the website www.schwoermontag.com (only in German!).
There are lots of nightlife activities in Ulm. The best way to stay informed is to look out for flyers or search the Internet. Most websites offer some form of community activities so that you can meet people sharing your interests.
- www.team-ulm.de (only in German!)
- www.metalgigs.de (only in German!)
- www.veranstaltungen.meinestadt.de (only in German!)
Furthermore you can find information on many interesting and cheap concerts, workshops and parties on the website of the Stadtjugendring Ulm: www.sjr-ulm.de (only in German!). Follow the subject: Jugendtreffs in Ulm