Records of study at German universities

Important for all exchange students - How to transfer records of study between your home and your guest university.


ECTS is the European Credit Transfer System introduced in order to ease the international acceptance of study credits. They can be transferred from one university to another within Europe. Each course offers a specific amount of credits, which reflects the amount of working hours you have to invest. You receive credits for all components of the curriculum, including your courses, study-related internships and thesis. Furthermore, ASQ or key qualification points enable students to build up competence beyond the technical training.

Types of courses

V – Vorlesung: Lecture held by a professor

Ü – Übung/Exercise: Course to apply the subject matter

S – Seminar: Course with active participation by students

L - Labor: practical application of the subject matter

Furthermore you usually have to attend one or several internships (external practical semester at Ulm University of Applied Sciences and University of Applied Sciences Neu-Ulm) during your studies in Ulm/Neu-Ulm. During your internship you acquire work experience in the field of your studies for several weeks or months.

The grading scale at German universities:

Grade 1,0 to 1,5: very good
Grade 1,6 to 2,5: good
Grade 2,6 to 3,5: satisfactory
Grade 3,6 to 4,0: sufficient
Grade 4,1 to 5,0: fail

Credits are not the same as grades. Credits are a quantitative measure of your study input. Grades are qualitative measure of your study output. You receive credits only if you pass a course successfully (grade 4,0 or better).