Residents' registration office / foreigners' registration office

In Germany, everyone has to be registered. Go to the residents' registation office of the city you live in and ask there for the procedure. You can also inform yourself on the webpage of your city.

Residents' registration office Ulm

Stadt Ulm (Bürgerdienste)
Kornhausplatz 4
89073 Ulm

For residence registration: Abteilung Melde- und Ausländerwesen, Dienstleistungszentren (only in German!)

For citizenship: Sachgebiet Ausländer- und Staatsangehörigkeitswesen (only in German!)

Students coming from non-EU countries have to show their temporary visa and apply for an electronic residence permit (eAT) in addition to their registration. This can be done at the same office.

Residents' registration office Neu-Ulm

Bürgerbüro der Stadt Neu-Ulm
Petrusplatz 15
89231 Neu-Ulm

Registation (only in German!)

Landratsamt Neu-Ulm
Kantstraße 8
89231 Neu-Ulm

Opening hours (only in German!)

Contact information (only in German!)

Students, who live in Neu-Ulm, have to register at the Bürgerbüro (even if they study at the Ulm University or at the Ulm University of Applied Sciences).

  • Non-EU citizen must register at the Bürgerbüro and apply with the Landsratsamt for the electronic residence permit (eAT). At the Bürgerbüro you must present your filled out application for residence permission. The stamped application must be submitted to the Ausländerbehörde in the Landsratsamt, where you also must present your visa.

Residents' registration office/Foreigners' registration office

All residents in Germany are required by law to register at the registration office of the town they move to within two weeks after arrival.

Further information on immigration regulations can be found here (only in German!).

Documents you need to present

  • Valid identity card (EU-citizens) / passport (non-EU citizens)
  • Confirmation of enrollment or the admission to study (in this case you need to hand in your confirmation of enrollment later on)
  • Confirmation from the landlord that you are renting a room/ apartment (Wohnungsgeberbestätigung)
  • Details of marriage partners, if applicables

You also need to complete a form to apply for a residence permit in Ulm and Neu-Ulm.
The forms are available at the International Offices or at the Bürgerdienste Ulm and the Landratsamt Neu-Ulm.


When you return to your home country you are required to deregister at the same office where you registered upon arrival in Ulm/Neu-Ulm within two weeks. You can deregister at the earliest one week before you move out. Even if you move to another address in Ulm/Neu-Ulm you have to present the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung of your move into your new residence to the Bürgerdienste/Bürgerbüro in Ulm or Neu-Ulm.

If you are a degree seeking student in your first semester (Ersteinschreibung) and registering in Ulm for the first time (Hauptwohnsitz), the city gives you one semester ticket (for public transportation) free of charge.
You will find more information about Semesterticket here.

Documents required to apply for an electronic residence permit

You will have to apply for your electronic residence permit personally and at least 4 to 6 weeks before your temporary visa expires. When living in Ulm, you will have to go to the Einwohnermeldeamt – (residents' registration office): Melde- und Ausländerwesen (Kornhausplatz 4; 89073 Ulm), when living in Neu-Ulm, please go to the Landratsamt - Ausländerbehörde (Kantstraße 8; 89231 Neu-Ulm). Your fingerprints will be stored when you apply for the electronic residence permit.

Please bring the following documents:

  • 2 passport-sized biometrical photographs
  • Your passport
  • Neu-Ulm: your confirmation of registration
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Proof of financial means (e.g. a confirmation of your scholarship or a statement from your parents documenting how much alimony they pay to you monthly, minimum amount required is € 735.00) or respectively bank statements that show sufficient funds.

Charges: € 100; for extension: € 80 (except scholarship holders of German public institutions)