Opening hours of most shops: Monday to Saturday from approx. 9.00 a.m. to 8.00 p.m., some grocery shops in Ulm even until midnight, closed on Sundays.
In Ulm and Neu-Ulm, you can for example find the following supermarkets:
- Kaufland: Blaubeurer Straße 29 (Ulm), Vorwerkstraße 2 (Neu-Ulm)
- Rewe: Virchowstraße 1-9, Trollingerweg 14 (Ulm Eselsberg), Leipheimer Straße 55, Wegenerstraße 1 (Neu-Ulm), Magirusstraße 45, Römerstraße 120, Bahnhofstraße 1/1 (Ulm Weststadt), Wielandstraße 56, Schwamberger Straße 35-43 (Ulm Oststadt), Hummelstraße 7-11, Marktplatz 9 (Blaustein)
- Edeka: Bahnhofstraße 5 (inside Galeria Kaufhof, Ulm city centre)
Besides the "normal" supermarkets, there are discounters offering good bargains:
- Aldi: Blaubeurer Straße 47 (Ulm), Pfaffenweg 28 (Neu-Ulm), Wegenerstraße 3 (Neu-Ulm), Max-Hilsenbeck-Straße 1 (Blaustein)
- Lidl: Wielandstraße 54 (Ulm Oststadt), Wörthstraße 59 (Ulm Weststadt), Im Starkfeld 59 (Neu-Ulm), Max-Hilsenbeck-Straße 4 (Blaustein)
- Norma: Herrenkellergasse 18 (Ulm city centre), Leipheimer Straße 97 (Neu-Ulm), Ehinger Straße 19, Magirusstraße 40 (Ulm Weststadt)
- Netto: Münsterplatz 16 (Ulm city centre), Söflinger Straße 120 (Ulm Söflingen), Hauptstraße 72 (Neu-Ulm), Bahnhofstraße 11 (Blaustein)
- Penny: Bahnhofstraße 91 and Reuttier Straße 56 (both Neu-Ulm)
You will find a farmer’s market in Ulm on the Münsterplatz and at the Petrusplatz in Neu-Ulm, where farmers from the surrounding area offer fresh vegetables, fruits and other food. Both markets take place on Wednesdays and Saturdays, in Ulm from 6.00 a.m. to 1.00 p.m.; in Neu-Ulm from 7.00 a.m. to 1.00 p.m.
As in most German cities, you will find the best shopping opportunities in the city centre. However, there are also some shopping malls in and around Ulm.
Used things, car boot sales
- You can find second hand shops in Ulm and in Neu-Ulm (only in German!)
- In the category Die gute Tat in the newspaper Ulmer Wochenblatt you will find free furniture and home appliances.
- Flea markets, once a month at the Volksfestplatz in Neu-Ulm and at irregular dates at other places, ask local students for other markets. Check the newspaper or ask local students in order to get more informaton on exact dates and other flea markets.
- Facebook group 'FreeYourStuff Ulm/Neu-Ulm': here you will find free things, but you have to be quick: it's first come, first serve!