Online application is compulsory. Applications and relevant documents can only be accepted if they have been received no later than the last day of the application period. Applications and pertaininig documents which are sent to Ulm University by email will not be accepted.
Entrance Requirements Cognitive Systems Master
Entrance requirements are:
- Proof of a bachelor's degree with examinations in study programmes in psychology, computer science, cognitive science or any other programme at any higher education institution in Germany or abroad completed with an equivalent degree awarded after a minimum of three years of study and subject to a minimum three quarter match of the respective study contents.
- Proof of adequate command of English at level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEF) through the Test of English as a Foreign Language, TOEFL, with a minimum of 88 points in the internet-based TOEFL; or 570 points in the paper-based TOEFL; or, respectiveley, 230 points in the computer-based TOEFL; IELTS with an overall band score of at least 6.5 or any comparable proof.
This does not apply to applicants who are native English speakers or whose bachelor's or other degree programme was taught exclusively in English.
- Proof of a bachelor's degree with an overall grade of 2.6 or better or, if the programme has not yet been completed examination results showing an average of 2.9 or better based on 140 ECTS or more ECTS credit points by the application deadline.
Where the number of applicants qualified according the above criteria exceeds the number of available places, selection is based on a ranking established on the level of qualification which is based by the overall grade of the bachelor's degree or the average grade of the examinations taken by the application deadline.
Criteria leading to a grade bonus are:
- proof of knowledge aquired in practical computing science (with programming in high-level programming language) with 6 or more ECTS
- proof of completion of courses whose subject matter is relevant for the programme in Cognitive Systems
- proof of participation in interdisciplinary projects whose content is relevant to the programme in Cognitive Systems or related work experience (minimum 6 months)
- proof of substantial study and research periods abroad
Cases of equal ranks, § 16 HVVO applies ( decision by lot).
Required Documents Master's Programme Cognitive Systems
The following documents must be attached to the online-application:
- Application form
- Data view (only German applicants and applicants enrolled in an Ulm University programme)
- Copy of the bachelor's degree with examinations in Psychology or Computer Science or Cognitive Science or any other programme covering essentially the same contents and copy of transcript of records of the examinations taken during the bachelor's programme with average grade of your bachelor's degree.
- If the bachelor's degree programme has not yet been granted: Copy of transcript of records of all programme achievements and examination results (including ECTS/credits) obtained in the programme of studies with average grade up to the end of the application period.
- Grading system of your studies showing the minimum grade required for passing the bachelor's degree as well as the highest possible grade. If this information is not given in the degree certificate/transcript, it must be provided separately in an official document or letter
- Copy of the official translation of the documents into English or German (if the originals are not in German or English)
- Proof of an adequate English language competence at level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, through the Test of English as a Foreign Language, TOEFL with a minimum of 88 points in the internet-based TOEFL; or 570 points in the paper-based TOEFL; or respectively, 230 points in the computer- based TOEFL: IELTS with a minimum of 6.5 points or any comparable proof, proof of academic studies exclusively in English or English as a native language.
- In case of exceptional hardship: evidence of exceptional hardship (detailed statement of reasons and relevant proof)
- For applicants with Chinese/Vietnamese/Mongolian degree: valid APS certificate (original) issued by the Academic Evaluation Office
- Form requesting subject-specific additional information