Mathematical Data Science - Master of Science (MSc)
Wir freuen uns sehr, an der Universität Ulm einen neuen Master-Studiengang Mathematical Data Science ab dem Wintersemester 2021/2022 anzukündigen.
Anwendungen für Data Science gibt es überall. Die Methoden der Data Science ermöglichen z.B. Robotern durch die Felslandschaften des Mars zu navigieren, sie unterstützen die Suche nach Medikamenten gegen neuartige Krankheiten und sie helfen Unternehmen mit Produkt- und Handlungsempfehlungen.
Unsere Absolventen erlernen mathematische Denkweisen und Fähigkeiten um Fragen:
- Wie funktionieren die numerischen Verfahren, mit denen neuronale Netze trainiert werden?
- Wie kann die Fehlerrate von Machine Learning-Algorithmen kontrolliert werden?
- Welche statistischen Modelle sind geeignet, um automatisch Themen in Nachrichtenartikeln zu erkennen?
- Welchen Algorithmus verwenden Streaming-Anbieter, um kundenspezifisch Filme vorzuschlagen?
- Wie funktioniert die Handschrifterkennung bei der Briefsortierung? Welchen Algorithmus verwenden Streaming-Anbieter, um kundenspezifisch Filme vorzuschlagen?
beantworten zu können.
Der Studiengang steht grundsätzlich allen Studierenden mit einem guten Bachelorabschluss in einem mathematischen Studiengang offen, aber auch Studierenden mit Bachelorabschlüssen in Informatik und Physik mit vertieften Mathematikkenntnissen.
Master of Science (MSc)Type of study
- next winter semester: 01.10.2022
- German, partly English
- no restriction
120Standard period of study (semester)
More about the course
The Management and Economics master’s programme has no compulsory courses, merely the total amount of credit points (ECTS) in the different areas of examination is determined in the examination regulations. Within the scope of these regulations you are free to customise your studies as you please. To give you an idea what this might look like, we provide one general and two example study curricula below.
The Management and Economics master’s programme combines the areas of business management, macroeconomics, mathematics, informatics, law and languages in an integrative way. The pathway prepares you for a career in economy, industry or public service for which this combination of qualifications is required. The master’s programme allows you to specialise in one or two areas.
While the education in the master’s programme is research-oriented, practical relevance is an important element of our study concept. Close contacts between faculty and economy as well as numerous research projects and courses given by lecturers from industry and economy make sure of this.
The specialised and interdisciplinary methods you learn in this programme enable you to solve practical questions and problems. You also learn how to develop new methods and conduct scientific work.
As a graduate of this master’s programme you will be qualified to
- lead projects that analyse, model and solve problems related to science and economy,
- perform tasks in planning, development and research in economic, scientific and public institutions,
- conduct scientific work at universities,
- conduct PhD/doctoral studies.
The Management and Economics master’s programme offers a wide range of opportunities to integrate a semester abroad. Please make sure you adhere to the relevant deadlines for your application.
- December / January for the ERASMUS programme,
- 30 April for Australia, Brazil, Chile, South Korea - for semesters abroad in the subsequent academic year,
- 30 September for programmes in all other countries outside the European ERASMUS programme - for semesters abroad in the subsequent academic year.
For detailed information on studying abroad, please see the websites of the International Office and the academic advisory service for semesters abroad of the Economics department.
To afford you the best possible start into your master's studies, we offer brush-up courses to all bachelor's students with admission to the master's programme. These refresher courses repeat contents from the bachelor’s programme and strengthen required fundamentals. New students with a degree from another university benefit particularly from these courses.
No enrolment is required.
The consecutive Management and Economics bachelor's and master’s programmes at Ulm University are designed for future managers in modern service and industrial enterprises. The pathway teaches competences that prepare you in the best possible way for varied career opportunities as highly a qualified economist.
Depending on your choice(s) of specialisation, you might work in the following areas
- executive responsibilities in the areas of controlling and finance, risk management, accounting, internal auditing, in business departments or in executive support units of companies and big corporations,
- auditing and executive responsibilities at statutory auditing companies (statutory auditor state examination),
- consulting and project management in business consultancies, especially strategic, operative and IT consulting, restructuring and process optimisation,
- executive responsibilities with tax consultancies (tax consultant state examination),
- executive responsibilities with financial institutions, insurance and investment companies (corporate finance), e.g. investment funds management, private equity, capital participation assessment and financial counselling,
- executive responsibilities with insurance companies, e.g. in product development, planning and implementation of IT concepts or risk management,
- executive and/or independent activities in economic research institutes, trade associations and politico-economic institutions.
All of these professional areas can likewise be pursued on an international level. A master’s degree furthermore opens the door to a doctoral degree.
I can only recommend to every student to take your time and to spend some time abroad: take advantage of the manifold opportunities offered to you. It is really not important to finish your studies as fast as possible, but it is important that you develop your own independence.
Sebastian Wagner, Group Accounting BMW AG
(Diplom in Management and Economics)
Graduates from Ulm University have fantastic prospects at Ernst & Young. We appreciate the analytical and structured way of working, the international focus and practice orientation as well as, and most importantly for us, the specialisation in accounting/auditing. Furthermore, the limited number of students guarantees a good teacher to student ratio.
Prof. Dr. Klaus Müller, Partner Ernst & Young AG Auditing services