Biology - Master of Science (MSc)
- required language proficiency: English
- places not limited
Application is currently not available!
How to apply:
1. Step: Online application
Apply online and print out the application for admission as well as the data view.
2. Step: Submit documents
Send the signed application including all application documents to
Abteilung II-1 Zulassung
89069 Ulm | Germany
All documents must be received in paper form within the application period.
1) Proof of a bachelor's degree with above-average examination results in the study programmes in biology or biochemistry or any other study programme with essentially the same content at any higher education institution in Germany or abroad –or any degree recognised as equivalent— with a standard period of study of three or more years.
2) Proof of above-average examination results can be
- a bachelor's degree with a final grade of 2.5 or better or, where this has not yet been established,
- an average of 2.8 or better of all examination results obtained by the date of application; the volume thereof must be equivalent to 120 or more credit points
3) Essential skills in cell biology, physiology, ecology and molecular biology (incl. microbiology and genetics). These essential skills may be gained by completing and passing the preparatory course offered by Ulm University
4) Proof of adequate English language competence
This can be the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with
- 88 points (internet-based TOEFL), or
- any comparable proof (e.g. IELTS 6.5), or
- proof that applicants are native speakers of English, or
- that they completed their academic studies in English, or
- that they gained a minimum of 6 ECTS from academic courses taught in English during their studies at a higher education institution.
For legally binding information please see the MSc Biology admissions statutes.
Upon completing the online application you need to submit the following documents in paper form within the application deadline:
- application for admission (with original signature)
- data view (protocol of the online application)
- form requesting subject-specific additional information
- the bachelor’s degree certificate stating the average grade plus a transcript of records with credit points
- if the programme has not yet been completed: transcript of records issued by the higher education institution including overall average grade and total credit points
- for degrees from abroad: grading scale of the education institution indicating the minimum grade required for passing the bachelor's degree as well as the highest grade possible. If this information is not given in the degree certificate/transcript, it must be provided separately in an official document or letter
- proof of required English language competence
- for applicants with Chinese or Vietnamese degree: the original of the APS certificate
- additional, certified translations of documents that were not issued in German/English
- simple, non-attested copy of each document, no authentication needed (exemption: APS certificate)
- incomplete applications (missing documents or details) will be rejected
- we do not accept applications and supporting documents sent by email
- signatures must be originals
You will be admitted if you meet the following requirements:
- Compliance with application form and period
- Compliance with formal entrance requirements (undergraduate programme, entrance grade and proof of English proficiency)
- Proof of equivalence regarding the subject-matter of your study qualification (decision of the admissions committee)
Information on the master's programme biology
Further information on the master's programme biology.
For graduates of Ulm University
If you hold a bachelor of science in biology or a bachelor of science in biochemistry from Ulm University, an application is not required. You can go to the Studiensekretariat (student administration and examinations office) instead and fill out an 'application for change of programme' (Antrag auf Studiengangwechsel) as soon as you graduate, given that your grades meet the requirements as stated in the admission statute (final grade at least 2.5 and sufficient English language knowledge).