Tobias Drey, M. Sc.
Tobias Drey joined the HCI Group in March 2019 as a research associate and PhD student. He focuses his research on using augmented and virtual reality in education. This includes the research of design principles for AR/VR learning applications as well as suitable in-situ authoring tools. Tobias submitted his dissertation, "Towards Mixed Reality in Education: Overcoming Challenges of Teaching, Learning, and Authoring", for review at the end of August 2023. His research is funded by the BMBF (Federal Ministry of Education and Research) project AuCity 2 and AuCity 3. Prior to joining the HCI group, he worked as a Software Engineer at Airbus since 2013.
Tobias has an M. Sc. in Computer Science (2017) from Ulm University. The title of the master thesis was: Investigation of the Applicability of Augmented Reality Head-Mounted Displays for Geographic Information Systems
His B. Eng. in Information Technology attained Tobias 2013 at the Baden-Wuerttemberg Cooperative State University Ravensburg/Friedrichshafen. Since 2015, Tobias has been an external lecturer for the lectures Mobile Network Architectures and Mobile Sensors and Actuators and also supervises and grades theses.
- Augmented Reality
- Virtual Reality
- Mobile Devices
- Head Mounted Displays
Honors & Awards (Excerpt)
In 2021, students supervised by Tobias participated in the German Computer Game Award and were nominated for the serious game The Social Engineer in the category Young Talent Award: Best Prototype.
In 2013 Tobias participated in the Microsoft Imagine Cup and won together with his team an AppCampus Startup grant from Microsoft and Nokia. This enabled them to develop the pitched project idea into the market-ready app ScreenFusion.
- Projekt: User-Centered Design for Interactive Systems [SoSe19, WiSe19/20, SoSe20, WiSe20/21, WiSe21/22, SoSe22, WiSe22/23, SoSe23]
- Anwendungsfach/Projekt: Design Thinking for Interactive Systems [SoSe19, WiSe19/20, SoSe20, WiSe20/21, WiSe21/22, SoSe22, WiSe22/23, SoSe23]
- Anwendungsfach: Mensch-Computer-Interaktion [SoSe19, WiSe19/20, SoSe20, WiSe20/21, WiSe21/22, SoSe22, WiSe22/23, SoSe23]
- Seminar Research Trends in Media Informatics [WiSe19/20, WiSe20/21, WiSe21/22, WiSe22/23]
- Augmented Reality Indoor Navigation in Industrial Environments by the Example of Arena2036
- Augmented Reality Visualization of Fused Camera and Radar Measurements
- Evaluation of LiDAR-enabled Camera Pose Estimation for Augmented Reality Applications
- Exploring Piano Fingering Presentations using Text, Image, and Sound
- FireDrillVR: The Effect of Feedback Timing on Safety Training
- Investigating the Performance of Role-Based AR in Co-Located Collaborative Scenarios
- PISA_AR: Process In-Situ Authoring for Augmented Reality
- VRCreatIn: A Model and Design Space Based 3D Content Creation Tool With Pen and Tablet in Virtual Reality
- Constructive Solid Geometry with Pen and Tablet Interaction in Virtual Reality
- Holodraw: Bridging the Gap Between Constrained 2D and Mid-Air 3D VR Drawing in VRSketchIn
- In-Situ 360° Photo and Video Authoring
- VRCubed: Using Physical Surfaces to Integrate 2D Interaction and Visualization Into the 3D Modeling Process in VR
- Exploring Pair-Learning in Virtual Reality
- Augmented Writing for Novices
- Social Engineer: An Immersive Virtual Reality Educational Game to Raise Social Engineering Awareness, Nomination 2021, Nomination 2022 Games for Change Awards
- Static and Dynamic Texturing in VR
- Online Study Framework
- In-situ Surface-supported Texturing in VR
Conference Associate Chair: MuC '22 Short Papers, CHI '21 LBW
Session Chair: German Pre-CHI '22 Poster & Demo, CHI PLAY '21 LBW
Conference Reviewer: CHI '23, '22, '21, '20, CHI PLAY '23, '21, '20, IEEE VR '23, '21, UIST '21, '20, MUM '23, AVRiL '23, '22
Journal Reviewer: Computers and Education Open '23, MIT PRESENCE: Virtual and Augmented Reality '23, ACM Computing Surveys '22, IMWUT '23, '21, Springer Virtual Reality '21
2 "Special Recognitions for Outstanding Reviews" CHI '21