Tobias Drey, M. Sc.
Tobias Drey joined the HCI Group in March 2019 as a research associate and PhD student. He focuses his research on the use of augmented and virtual reality in education. This includes the research of design principles for AR/VR learning applications as well as suitable in-situ authoring tools. His research is funded by the BMBF (Federal Ministry of Education and Research) project AuCity 2. Prior to joining the HCI group, he worked as a Software Engineer at Airbus since 2013.
Tobias has an M. Sc. in Computer Science (2017) from Ulm University. The title of the master thesis was: Investigation of the Applicability of Augmented Reality Head-Mounted Displays for Geographic Information Systems
His B. Eng. in Information Technology attained Tobias 2013 at the Baden-Wuerttemberg Cooperative State University Ravensburg/Friedrichshafen. Since 2015, Tobias is there also an external lecturer for the lectures Mobile Network Architectures and Mobile Sensors and Actuators.
- Augmented Reality
- Virtual Reality
- Mobile Devices
- Head Mounted Displays
Honors & Awards (Excerpt)
In 2021, students supervised by Tobias participated in the German Computer Game Award and were nominated for the serious game The Social Engineer in the category Young Talent Award: Best Prototype.
In 2013 Tobias participated in the Microsoft Imagine Cup and won together with his team an AppCampus Startup grant from Microsoft and Nokia. This enabled them to develop the pitched project idea into the market-ready app ScreenFusion.
Currently I am offering the following theses topics. Please send me an e-mail if you are interested.
You are also welcome to contact me if you are generally interested in projects or theses in the field of Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality and Mixed Reality. Of course I am always open for topic suggestions.
I am looking forward to our cooperation.
|Tablet and Pen-Based VR Authoring for Urban Rainwater Management|
|VRSketchIn++: Pen and Tablet Interaction for 3D Sketching in VR|
- Projekt: User-Centered Design for Interactive Systems [SoSe19, WiSe19/20, SoSe20, WiSe20/21]
- Anwendungsfach/Projekt: Design Thinking for Interactive Systems [SoSe19, WiSe19/20, SoSe20, WiSe20/21]
- Anwendungsfach: Mensch-Computer-Interaktion [SoSe19, WiSe19/20, SoSe20, WiSe20/21]
- Seminar Research Trends in Media Informatics [WiSe19/20, WiSe20/21]
- Augmented Reality Indoor Navigation in Industrial Environments by the Example of Arena2036
- Augmented Reality Visualization of Fused Camera and Radar Measurements
- Evaluation of LiDAR-enabled Camera Pose Estimation for Augmented Reality Applications
- FireDrillVR: The Effect of Feedback Timing on Safety Training
- Investigating the Performance of Role-Based AR in Co-Located Collaborative Scenarios
- Constructive Solid Geometry with Pen and Tablet Interaction in Virtual Reality
- Holodraw: Bridging the Gap Between Constrained 2D and Mid-Air 3D VR Drawing in VRSketchIn
- In-Situ 360° Photo and Video Authoring
Sketching in virtual reality (VR) enhances perception and understanding of 3D volumes, but is currently a challenging task, as spatial input devices (e.g., tracked controllers) do not provide any scaffolding or constraints for mid-air interaction. We present VRSketchIn, a VR sketching application using a 6DoF-tracked pen and a 6DoF-tracked tablet as input devices, combining unconstrained 3D mid-air with constrained 2D surface-based sketching. To explore what possibilities arise from this combination of 2D (pen on tablet) and 3D input (6DoF pen), we present a set of design dimensions and define the design space for 2D and 3D sketching interaction metaphors in VR. ...
Conference Accociate Chair: CHI '21 LBW
Conference Reviewer: CHI '21, CHI '20, CHI PLAY '21, CHI PLAY '20, IEEE VR '21, UIST '21, UIST '20
Journal Reviewer: Springer Virtual Reality '21