Applied Subject/Project: Visual Computing, Winter Term 2017/18
After a first stage in which the research teams are established, they will chose and work on application subjects. The main objectives are set with the help of the lecturer and the tutors. The research topics are supposed to lie within the topic range of visual computing, namely computer graphics, visualisation, virtual reality, and game or game engine development.
Possible topics are:
- co-operation with Ulmer Museum on visual processing of the lion man. Several data sets are already at hand.
- co-operation with Ulmer Münster about visual presentation of information linked to the edifice
- calibration of a multi projector system
- development of applications for our multi projector system
- molecular visualisation
Then, the teams will carry out a focussed literature review, as well as sketch a first project plan, leading to a documented project draft. This draft includes assertions to the following subjects:
- topic setting
- literature research
- design concept
- familiarisation with technical foundations
- design of architecture
After a successful implementation stage, we expect a consistent project documentation, a project web site, a short demo video, and presentable screen shots.
The project, running for two semesters, can be enhanced to meet the criteria of an application subject according to the examination regulations.
The project usually spreads over two semesters.
Participation in our lectures on computer graphics, game engine development, or visualization is recommended but not mandatory.