Luca-Maxim Meinhardt, M.Sc.
Luca-Maxim Meinhardt joined the HCI group in February 2022 as a research assistant and PhD student.
He holds a M. Sc. in Human-Computer-Interaction (2021) from the University of Siegen. His master thesis was written in cooperation with the research department of the Carl Zeiss AG. The title of the master thesis was: "Development and design of a novel user-guided smartphone application to self-diagnose corneal astigmatism."
Luca earned his B.A. in media design in 2018 at Ostfalia University of Applied Sciences in Salzgitter. There he wrote his bachelor thesis together with a Hamburg-based design agency.
Digital well-being for ubiqioutous technologies
My research area focuses on the disruptive usage of ubiquitous technology and how they influence our digital well-being in the long and short term. Today's smartphones are competing for our attention to keep us in the digital realm as long as possible. In the near future, Extended Reality will be as ubiquitous as smartphones, causing similar problems such as addiction, depression, and mental health issues.
I believe that technology should be calm instead of destructive. Therefore, in my research, I am aiming to intervene in the excessive usage of ubiquitous future and present technology and pull users back to engage in the real world and towards a meaningful usage of technology.
Ongoing theses and projects
- Investigating users' reactance to smartphone intervention strategies in situational contexts
- Creating physical pull factors to increase user's awareness of excessive smartphone usage
- Increasing user's digital well-being through self-aware session timers
- Analyzing smartphone distraction during walking and investigating prevention tools
- Creating a usage budget to increase user's physical thriving and decrease social media consumption
- Help people to enhance their public speaking skills through peripherical displays
- Haptic feedback for visually impaired people in automated driving to increase their situation awareness
Currently I am offering the following theses topics. Please send me an e-mail if you are interested.
You are also welcome to contact me if you are generally interested in projects or theses in the field of Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality and Mixed Reality. Of course I am always open for any other topic suggestions.
I am looking forward to work together with you.
Get Up, Stand Up - Put Down Your Phone - How to turn smartphone sessions into a sporty activity.
Calm Technology and Digital Detox - How to nudge people towards a healthier technology usage
AutoUI '22, IMWUT '22, CHI LBW '23, Mobile HCI '23