Before your Arrival

Study applicant visa

If you have not yet received notification of admission to Ulm University, you can apply for a student applicant visa. It is valid for three months and extendable to a maximum of six months. After admission to the university, the applicant visa can be converted into a residence permit

Student visa

If you have received your notification of admission to Ulm University, you should apply for a student visa. Student visas are usually valid for three months. Within these three months, you will have to apply for a residence permit at the local Aliens department (Ausländerbehörde).  

The brochure "Rights of residence for researchers from non-EU countries in Germany" from the German Rectors' Conference (HRK) gives an overview over the different types of residence permits, their requirements as well as your subsequent rights and obligations.


There are many ways to find an apartment or room in Ulm and Neu-Ulm. However, please start your search as soon as possible. Especially at the beginning of each semester in September/October and in March/April, there is usually a lot of pressure on the housing market.

Search engines are quite common. A lot of landlords and landladies, nonetheless, ask for a personal meeting  before the conclusion of a rental agreement.

Most rooms or apartments in Germany don't come with furniture.

Useful links for your search for housing can be found on the following websites:

Supervisors can book a room or apartment for their doctoral researchers in one of the guest houses of the university. However, due to a very high demand, it is important to book it well in advance. Please ask your supervisor about this possibility.

If you weren't able to find a room or apartment before your arrival, you can book a room in a boarding house or youth hostel.

Travel insurance

Make sure to conclude a travel insurance, which covers the first time of your stay in Germany until you are able to contract a regular health insurance.