How to apply
Start of Programme
Summer December 1 - January 15 April Winter January 16 - March 15 September (Pre-Master`s Course)
- actual programme start: October
Academic Requirements MSc programme “Chemical Engineering":
(subject to approval of the university bodies)
1. Proof of a bachelor's degree with examination results in the study course chemical engineering or any other programme with essentially the same content at any higher education institution in Germany or abroad or any degree recognized as equivalent awarded after a minimum of three years of study.
2. Examination results must comply with one of the following criteria final grade of the bachelor's degree of 2.5 or better, or if the degree has not yet been completed examination results showing an average of 2.5 or better by the application deadline. Fundamental skills in natural sciences, materials science and/ or engineering sciences Applicants who do not fulfill the above-average grade and hold a bachelor's degree with an overall grade of 3.0 or better have to provide their qualification for this master's programme by an admission examination*. This also applies if the bachelor's programme has not yet been completed and the examination results show an average of 3.0 or better by the application period.
3. Fundamental skills in natural sciences, materials science and/ or engineering sciences**
4. Proof of sufficient English language skills at Level C 1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Language (CEFR)
This is proven by:
- 7.0 points or better in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS); if the score and Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) level are given at the same time, the higher level of language proficiency will be recognised,
- Certificate in Advanced English or Certificate of Proficiency in English at the Cambridge exam,
- 490 (listening), 455 (reading), 200 (speaking) and 200 (writing) points or better in the Test of English for International Communication (scale 10-990) (TOEIC),
- 95 points or better in the Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based (TOEFL iBT institution code 8407),
- Level III or level IV for UNIcert® or
GER C1 level or higher, e. g. indicated on the higher education entrance qualification. A language proficiency level of CEF C1 or lower is not recognized.
- an examination (university level) in the area of English language with an expressly stated C1 level, indicated by the Transcript of Records.
This does not apply to applicants whose native language is English.
* Applicants living abroad may participate in an online admission examination.
** These essential skills may be gained by passing the Pre Master`s course offered by Ulm University.
Prospective students are expected to ...
• be willing to acquire a basic knowledge of German. German courses are part of the curriculum.
• be willing to study/live in a challenging, multi-cultural environment.
Applicants have to provide:
• Curriculum vitae (maximum 2 pages)
• Transcript of records of all semesters/terms studied in the bachelor programme
• Information on the grading system at Bachelor University
• Bachelor degree certificate
• English test score report
Evaluation of applications is based on:
• Bachelor programme, courses attended, internships and work experience
• Bachelor grade or CGPA and grades of relevant courses
The link to “Online Registration” (Admission Department, Ulm University) is available during the annual application periods that precedes the start of the programme in summer or winter semester each year. Application documents (hard copies or uploaded documents) will be accepted until January 15 (summer start) or March 15 (winter start), respectively.
Data you will be asked to enter:
• Personal data: Family name, first (given) name, gender, nationality, date and place of birth (city, official name of the country), place of residence, e-mail address
• Information on your bachelor degree and the university where you earned it: University and country of university, title of your bachelor (Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Engineering), subject of your bachelor program (e.g. Chemical Engineering), number of academic years the programme comprises
• Information on your current academic status:
Bachelor degree finished yes/no. If yes: Finishing date
• A data sheet for your records, showing the data you entered, will be created.
• Save it on your computer, print it for your records
• A cover sheet for the application package to be sent to “Chemical Engineering" by regular mail will be created. It shows your application number.
• Save it on your computer, print it.
• Sign in the designated space.
Submit the data online
• You will receive an automatic e-mail reply confirming your registration.
Please note ...
• Online registration alone does not constitute a valid application. To complete your application, you must either upload your documents or send them by post.
• Access: The application form is provided by the “Chemical Engineering” office. You may access it during the application period here and in the course of the online registration procedure.
Application form Winter 2019 (.xlsx)
Application form Winter 2019 (.ods)
Read me "How to complete this form"
• Finish online registration first by submitting your data online before starting to complete the application form.
• Completing the form will take some time. Use either Microsoft Excel or an open office spreadsheet program. Forms completed in handwriting are not accepted.
Data you will be asked to enter in the application form:
• Application number you received during online registration (cover sheet).
• Information on the grading system at your university: Does a credit point or credit hour system exist? Maximum grade attainable and minimum passing grade for bachelor courses and for final bachelor grade respectively.
• Final grade of your bachelor degree or cumulative grade point average (CGPA)/current average grade of all courses you attended in the bachelor program so far if you haven´t finished the bachelor program yet.
• Courses in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Engineering Science (e.g. classical engineering, biotechnology ,medical engineering etc.): Course title, number of credit points/credit hours earned, grade achieved.
Submission of application form
• Save the form on your computer.
• Send a hard copy version of the form along with the other documents to “Chemical Engineering” by regular mail or upload files (see confirmation email):
Dr. Maria-Verena Kohnle
Faculty of Natural Sciences
Documents you have to submit via regular mail or upload documents:
a) Cover sheet of online registration with date and your signature in handwriting.
Important: Your application is not valid without your signature on all documents that are asked to be signed: (a), b), d); see below)!
b) Application form: Hardcopy of completed form, signed on bottom of page 5.
c) Transcripts of records for all semesters/terms of the bachelor program. Information entered in the application form has to be retrievable on the transcripts. Please highlight information on the grading system stated on the transcript.
d) Curriculum vitae: Your CV has to be complete (no gaps, has to cover time since bachelor graduation). It mustn´t be longer than two pages (important!) and has to carry your name and application number on top, your signature on the bottom.
e) Bachelor degree certificate with final bachelor grade.
f) Score report of English test meeting our standards (for details check “Admission Requirements”)
g) APS-certificate (original): Has to be provided by students from PR China and Vietnam only.
We send a confirmation once we received all necessary documents.
Applications will be reviewed by the admission committee if ...
• ... the online registration is completed correctly.
• ... we receive documents a) to e) (students from PR China/Vietnam: a) to e) plus g)) in time.
Please note: …
• All documents have to reach Ulm University by the end of the application period OR You may also use the link given in the confirmation email to upload your documents by the end of the application period (March 15)
• It is sufficient to send untestified copies of all documents. Don´t send any originals.
• In case documents are not written in English or German testified translations to English have to be submitted in addition to documents in original language.
• All envelopes sent have to contain a copy of the cover sheet carrying your name and application number to ensure that the documents can be allocated correctly.
• Application documents without a valid application number are not accepted.
• Do not send any certificates not related to your academic or professional qualifications.
• All copies must be easily readable, standard size and paper.
• We cannot return any documents.
Most foreign students have to apply for a student visa at the German Embassy in their home country. German Immigration Law does not allow to change the immigration status whilst in Germany; don`t enter with a tourist visa !
Be aware that the visa procedure will take several weeks (up to 6 months).
Please make an appoinment at the nearest embassy or consulate. Go there immediately after receiving the admission letter or even before that. The embassy will inform you about the details of your visa application. Usually you have to present the following at the Embassy:
1. our letter of admission (Zulassung)
2. our information for the Embassy
3. a proof of your financial means (700 Euro/month at the least). Be prepared to show a bank statement covering the full expenses of the first year
4. in addition to the above the respective embassy may require you to submit additional material - check with your nearest German embassy
The excellent frequently asked questions pool at the DAAD website is a good resource (select from drop-down menu at the top of the page).
Services and assistance
Together with the admission letter you will receive detailed information on services we provide. We will assist you in finding housing, i.e. we will make reservations in the students' dormitories.
Upon arrival a senior student will meet and assist you during your first hours on foreign terrain. You will soon meet your new classmates and become familiar with your new surroundings.
Bachelor graduates Chemical Engineering of Ulm University
If you received your bachelor´s degree in chemical engineering from Ulm University, you need not apply for the study programme. You apply for change of degree programme in the student administration and examinations office (Studiensekretariat) as soon as you have completed your bachelor´s programme and thus comply with access conditions according to the admissions statutes (grade of bachelor´s degree: 2.5 or better; if the grade of the bachelor´s degree is 2.6 - 3.0: invitation to admission interview; adequate English skills).