Biophysics - Master of Science (M.Sc.)
Biophysics is a very exciting and rapidly expanding research field exploring new areas between physics and biology. The complexity of life is investigated at every level and analysed with physical methods. Physics helps understanding the mechanisms underlying the most basics biological systems and interactions.
Society is facing physical and biological problems of global proportions where Biophysics can be involved to find solutions.
- How will we continue to get sufficient energy?
- How can we feed the world’s population?
- How do we remediate global warming?
- How do we preserve biological diversity?
- How do we secure clean and plentiful water?
Master of Science (M.Sc.)Studientyp
- nächstes Wintersemester: 01.10.2022
- keine Zulassungsbeschränkung
120Regelstudienzeit (in Semestern)
Worum geht es in diesem Studiengang?
The aim of this Master programme is to
- provide a comprehensive education and hands-on research in modern biophysics,
- prepare students for the interdisciplinary nature of modern-day Life Sciences,
- train the students in quantitative thinking and in state-of-the-art experimental techniques close to current research.
Students enrolling in the two-year Master programme may choose in addition to core lectures in Biophysics, specialisation courses from the vast offer of Life Sciences departments, such as in Chemistry and Biochemistry, Molecular Medicine and Biology. During the second year, students have the opportunity to carry out research at the academic level by completing two indipendent research projects. Our programme offers a highly flexible choice of subjects and the course syllabus is intimately connected to the ongoing research within the Life Sciences at our university.
- Scope of the program: Scientific principles, experimental research, analytical methods and applications in the interdisciplinary fields of biophysics
- Emphasis on lab work: Students get trained in conducting scientific experiments, recording and analyzing experimental data. Lab courses deal with modern techniques in life sciences and state-of-the-art experiments close to current academic research.
- Independent research project: For completion of the program students work independently on an experimental master´s thesis project in an area/institute of their choice.
- Multidisciplinarity: The master program aims at getting together students, teachers and researchers from different disciplines in natural sciences.
Educational requirements to be met by future students:
- Solid undergraduate education in mathematics and physics or biology and chemistry.
- Willingness to close potential gaps in basic knowledge in mathematics and natural sciences. Students will attend demanding intensive courses that summarize basics and lead to advanced topics fast.
- Willingness to actively participate in classes, labs and seminars.
- Social skills to live and study in a multicultural, scientifically and personally stimulating environment.
How to Apply
|Start of application period||1st April|
|Application Deadline|| |
|Start of the programme||October|
Please follow the link to the Online Registration (available during the application phase).
You will be asked to enter the following data: personal data, information on bachelor degree and the university where you obtained it, information on your current academic status.
At the end of the online registration, you will receive a confirmation e-mail.
Documents to be downloaded before closing the online registration:
- Data View of your records showing the data you entered
- Cover Sheet for the application package, it carries your application number
After completing the online registration, please proceed to fill the Application form.xlsx
Read me: "How to complete the application form"
Note: Forms completed in handwriting are not accepted!
It is very important that the application form is filled correctly with information on the grading system at your university as well as information on the courses you attended. If the application form is not filled properly, your application may be rejected.
Upload a signed version of the form along with the other documents (see confirmation e-mail).
Please enter all the required data:
- Application number, received during the online registration.
- Grading system at your university:
Does a credit point or credit hour system exist at your university? Please enter the max. grade and min. passing grade.
- Final grade of your bachelor's degree or current grade point average (GPA) of all courses (if you have not yet finished the bachelor programme).
- Courses details: title, credit points/credit hours earned, grade (it has to be consistent with the max/min passing grade entered). Please copy the title exactly as it is stated on your transcript of records, all the information entered have to be retrievable in your transcript.
Please let us know if you need assistance to complete the form.
The application documents must be
uploaded in electronic form (link provided in the confirmation e-mail) before the application deadline.
We do not accept documents sent by fax or attached to e-mails.
|1. Cover Sheet||Please sign it and fill in the date|
|2. Application form||Filled excel file (you can download it in this page), please sign it and fill in the date.|
|3. Curriculum Vitae||The CV has to be complete, i.e. there should be no gaps and it should cover the time period since you finished your Bachelor degree. |
Insert your name, application number and signature.
|4. Transcripts of records||All semesters studied in the bachelor programme and exams taken have to be reported. If the transcripts are not written in English or German you have to provide copies of the certified English translation.|
|5. Official information on Grading||Unless already reported in the transcripts, please provide an official document from your university on the grading system (maximum grade, minimal passing grade, conversion of letter grades to number grades).|
|6. Bachelor's degree certificate||The final grade has to be reported. If the certificate is not in English or German you have to provide copies of the certified English translation.|
|7. English certificate (copy!)|| |
TOEFL (ibT) test with minimum score: 95
Applicants who are English native speakers don't have to submit any English test result.
Students are welcome to apply without an English certificate, however they should plan a test as soon as possible. A valid English certificate has to be presented the latest at the moment of enrollment.
Graduates of the Ulm University are welcome to contact the coordinator or the head of the M. Sc. Biophysics programme for more information on the English requirements.
|8. Letter of Motivation|| |
|9. Proof of professional training (optional)||Training, internship or work experience relevant for the Biophyiscs master|
|10. APS-certificate||Required for students from China and Vietnam |
You will obtain a confirmation e-mail once we received all necessary documents.
- It is sufficient to send untestified copies of all documents.
- Application is not valid if documents are sent without prior online registration.
- Do not send any certificates not related to your academic or professional qualifications.
Graduates of the Ulm University with a B. Sc. in Physics or Econophysics, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology and Molecular Medicine, should use the application form "Antrag auf Studiengangwechsel / Umschreibung vom Bachelor in den Master" and bring it to the Studiensekretariat together with a letter of motivation. For more information please read here.
A wide range of careers are open to biophysicist given their broad interdisciplinary training:
- Research and development positions in government and private research institutes or industry
- Scientific and technological areas: molecular biophysics and biology, pharmaceutical biotechnology, spectroscopic methods, computational modelling, healthcare sector, quality control, developments of designs, methos and technologies in Life Sciences
- Specialized applications such development and test of new products and processes.
- PhD in Germany and all over the world
The International Office and Studierendenwerk Ulm provide a broad range of advising and assistance services for international students, from housing service, canteen, tandem programmes and so on. Please have a look at the links below for more information on the services provided.
|Fees||The government has introduced tuition fees for students from outside the European Union starting their study in Baden-Württemberg from winter semester 2017/18. This means that non-EU students starting in 2017 or later need to pay 1,500 Euro per semester.|
|Financial Assistance||Ulm University does not provide scholarships for incoming students. Please check the DAAD Website.|
|Proof of financial resources||Many German embassies require students to prove that they dispose of a specific amount of money (approx. 8000 €) on a German bank account before a visa will be issued. Please inquire at the German embassy in your country for specific requirements.|