Library Account and ID
The following applies for all patrons:
- Visit the central library Circulation Desk (Service-Point Ausleihe) or the departmental library Helmholtzstraße (Service-Point Bibliothek Helmholtzstraße) to complete registration by having your ID activated.
- Upon completing registration, you automatically agree to comply with the usage regulation (PDF) by kiz.
- Log in to the online-catalogue and click on "My Account" to access and manage your library account online. View and print out due dates online or ask for a due date slip at a Circulation Desk.
Apart from online account access, as described above, other factors such as initial registration, account management (especially changing a password), and type of ID card differ depending on the patron's status:
Upon enrollment, students are automatically registered as library patrons. But before borrowing privileges can be granted, students must complete registration by having their student IDs activated (see above). Students can manage their account online by connecting to the Higher Education Services Portal (Hochschuldiensteportal Studium & Lehre).
University of Ulm faculty, staff and alumni
University faculty and staff members as well as alumni are required to bring their University ID to a Circulation Desk, where the library account number printed on the ID card (ulub…) can be activated via a chip card reader. Account management is limited to password change via IDM Self-Service-Portal.
Visiting scholars should ask their host institute or department for a kiz guest ID.
All other patrons must apply for a kiz service card, which functions as a library ID. There is a one-time registration fee of 15 EUR. Students who study at other German universities or colleges can register free of charge. High school students, trainees, and unemployed individuals pay 5 EUR for registration (proof of eligibility required).
The first step toward registration is to fill out the online registration form (see below), followed by a visit to the Circulation Desk, where you must provide proof of ID (either a valid German Identity Card or a passport). Registration fee payment is via girocard.
Online self-registration and password management for external patrons (incl. University Clinc)
Communication and Information Centre (kiz)
Please contact us if you have questions or problems related to the kiz services:
Monday - Thursday
09:00 h - 12:00 h and 13:00 h - 15:30 h
Friday 09:00 h - 12:00 h
+49 (0) 731 / 50 - 30000
+49 (0) 731 / 50 - 1230000
Service Points are locations where you can visit us personally.
kiz from A to Z
More to: Library Account & ID
Good to know
Library fees need to be paid cashless with your ID card.
You will find add value terminals in
- Entrance South, next to the canteen entrance
- Cafeteria South
- Cafeteria North
- Cafeteria West
- Cafeteria Helmholtzstraße 16
- Library headquarters