At the beginning all services or service subscriptions which can be used with the kiz account receive a common initial password. This password is generated automatically and can be changed by you. For security reasons we recommend to change the passwords regularly (see Guide passwords).
Change your password
- Passwords can only be changed via IDM Self Services. Log on to the IDM portal, call "My IDM" and select "Change password" function.
- You can specify the service subscriptions for which you want to change the password.
- Passwords can, but do not have to be identical for all service subscriptions..
- External library customers (non-members of the university) use a different procedure to change the password for the library account: chaning the library account password
Have you forgotten your password?
There are several ways to reset a forgotten password.
Reset password on your own
- Chip card terminal
If you have forgotten or lost the password with which you can log in to IDM Self Services, you can reset all passwords at one of the chip card SB terminals. This will give you a new initial password for all your service subscriptions. The only requirement is that you know your chip card PIN.
You will find the terminals:
- In the main university building: South entrance (near the cafeteria) and North entrance
- in the Uni West: in the foyer of the library headquarters
- IDM (IDM Self Services)
Via the web interface of the identity management a new password can be set in the IDM and optionally be inherited by the other kiz services or service subscriptions connected to it. This option can be used if the IDM password is still known but the forgotten password (e.g. for the Windows login to the Active Directory or the mail password) is set differently.
- Sending a new password by e-mail
If a login to the IDM Self Services is no longer possible because this password is also no longer known, the user can have a new password sent to his e-mail address registered in the IDM (usually @uni-ulm.de). This option is accessible from the login page of the IDM, but requires that the e-mail account can still be accessed (e.g. if the password has been saved in the e-mail program). This changes the IDM password, which can then be used to log in to the web interface of the identity management system and, if necessary, to change subsequent passwords. The password change must be made within one hour of receiving the info mail.
Support from the Helpdesk
If the passwords cannot be reset on your own, we offer you these options:
- Personal appearance at the Helpdesk
Contact our Helpdesk and make an appointment. Remember that you must identify yourself and should therefore always carry your identity card or passport.
- If you cannot come to the helpdesk in person, you can authorize a trusted person to do so by means of a power of attorney. The person giving the power of attorney must enclose at least one copy of his or her official identification document (identity card or passport) with the power of attorney, and the authorized person must also be able to identify himself or herself. Please contact the Helpdesk to arrange an appointment.
- If it is not possible to appear in person at the helpdesk and no authorised representative can be appointed, send us ein a Selfie: Use your smartphone to make a Selfie by holding your official identification document (identity card or passport) in the camera. The Selfie photo and the photo on the ID document must be clearly recognizable as one and the same person. Send us this selfie by e-mail. After comparing the personal data (name, date of birth) on the photo of the ID card, which is also recognizable on the photo of the ID card, with the data stored in the IDM, the password will be reset and sent to you.
- Sending by post: If you are unable to appear in person and cannot grant a power of attorney, a new data sheet can be generated and sent to you by post. However, this is only possible to the postal address registered in the IDM (students) or in the personnel administration system.
- Video ID procedure: If all other options are excluded, there is still the possibility of a Video-Ident procedure. The conference service Zoom is used for this. This requires a computer connected to the Internet, on which a browser is installed and a camera is available. The Helpdesk will inform the user by telephone about the exact link for the conference to carry out the identification procedure. A prior appointment is necessary. The Video-Ident-procedure is limited to especially stored exceptional cases.
Note for students: Passwords for the use of pools not operated by the kiz must be set separately.
- the Faculty of Mathematics and Economics and
- the SGI-Pools (Service Group Information Technology)
External users have the possibility here to reset their password for access to the library system's online catalogue.
Communication and Information Centre (kiz)
Please contact us if you have questions or problems related to the kiz services:
Monday - Thursday
09:00 h - 12:00 h and 13:00 h - 15:30 h
Friday 09:00 h - 12:00 h
+49 (0) 731 / 50 - 30000
+49 (0) 731 / 50 - 1230000
Order a Callback
Support Portal (Uni internal)
Using self-service functions of the Identity Management System (IDM): Administer permissions, subscribe to services, change passwords.
Research in the library stock: monographs, textbooks, magazines, university publications, e-books, e-journals, national licenses, and the contents of the institutional repository OPARU.
With about 400 keywords you will get direct access to our services. If something isn't listed, please contact our Internet Editorial Office.
Chip Card PIN
Your initial chip card PIN can be found on the chip card data mirror.
You can access the chip card data mirror via the kiz Web Services portal.
If you have forgotten your PIN, you can also generate a new PIN via the portal.
Please follow our instruction (only in German).