Service Category: Network & Connectivity
The kiz operates a wireless LAN (WLAN or radio network) which enables members and guests of the university to access the campus network and the internet with mobile devices like notebooks, tablets and smartphones.
Most lecture halls and seminar rooms as well as public areas are covered by WLAN access points. The wireless network appears in the network environment of the terminals with two different identifiers (SSID): eduroam or welcome.
Eduroam (education roaming) is a worldwide roaming access service developed for the international academic and scientific community. Members of the University of Ulm can log into the WLAN networks of participating institutions with their kiz account and thus gain access to the Internet. Conversely, members of other institutions can log into the eduroam WLAN in Ulm with the account of their home institution. In order to use eduroam, a suitable configuration of the terminal device is required.
Since not all terminals support eduroam and access is restricted to members of the University of Ulm and participants of the eduroam network, there is also the free and unencrypted WLAN welcome.
- Provision of a mobile data access to the campus network and the internet alternatively with eduroam or welcome.
- Access to the free WLAN welcome in the radio coverage area. Assigned IP addresses are not from the primary IPv4 address range (134.60/16) of the University of Ulm.
- Access to the eduroam WLAN for members and guests (from other institutions participating in eduroam) provided that the WLAN interface of the terminal device is appropriately configured.
- The net data rate available to the individual user depends largely on the number of other users in the same radio cell (shared medium).
- Provision of information about the facilities participating in eduroam as well as documentation on the configuration of the terminal devices. In addition, profile files for common end devices are provided for download.
- The coverage of the campus with WLAN access points and their adequate dimensioning is continuously monitored and adjusted if necessary. Enquiries regarding upgrades and retrofits can be sent via e-mail to the helpdesk of the kiz.
- Support for questions regarding the configuration of the mobile device via e-mail to the helpdesk of the kiz or with the device on site at the IT consultation hour.
- Members of the University of Ulm and other persons in the field of radio coverage
- Members of other institutions participating in the eduroam network
24 x 7 x 365
To access the WLAN eduroam a kiz account is required, or an account of another institution participating in the eduroam network.
Fee / charge
No fees or charges will be invoiced for the service.