License Procurement & Administration
Service Category: Software
The kiz procures, administers and monitors a multitude of different software offers which are made available to the users by different access options. The procurement of licenses is carried out for the areas of research and teaching as well as for the area of administration and leads to a complex contract landscape of multiple, campus and state contracts. This does not include licenses for the area of information media. The license conditions are monitored by the kiz. The users are provided with the product usage rights by publishing them on the websites of the kiz.
Overview of available Software: Software-Catalogue
Download Software: Portal kiz Web-Services
- Determination of demand for software licences through user surveys and anonymous user statistics
- The users can indicate individual procurement requests for a certain software to the kiz. This is done by contacting the helpdesk.
- Clarification of funding possibilities together with the users and, if necessary, application for funding to the Bureau
- Conducting negotiations with software companies, concluding contracts and renewals by the respective specialist managers
- Provision of a complete overview of the software on offer with information on how to access it (Software-Catalogue)
- Operation and maintenance of the Software-Download area in the portal kiz web services for the purchase of installation packages and manuals for campus-wide available software by members of the University of Ulm. Access to the software download area is granted by authentication with the kiz account via the portal. If required for the compliance with license regulations, access to the respective installation media is only granted to authorized subgroups (e.g. only students for student versions).
- In the case of paid single user licences, access is provided via an activation code ("voucher"). This can be purchased at the Service-Point Loan in the library's central office. Payment is made using the chip card or, in the case of university facilities, by transferring the voucher to the cost centres. In some cases, the software is also made available via the portals of the manufacturers or via local distribution channels.
- Monitoring of licence expenditure for single user licences
- Product groups:
- Statistics packages (SPSS, SAS) & computer algebra (Maple, Mathematica)
- Numerical applications/libraries & visualisation
- Software Theoretical Chemistry
- Software Molecular Dynamics / Molecular Visualisation
- Server and databases
Users of the service are all members, relatives and institutions of the University of Ulm including the administration. However, the right of use in individual cases depends on the corresponding licence model and the contractual regulations. Restrictions often relate to use in research and teaching.
24 x 7 x 365
Sale and transfer of licences only during the opening hours of the Service-Points Shop.
The service can be used by authorised persons without a separate application.
If licences are required for products that are not yet in the software catalogue, a licence request can be submitted via the helpdesk. The purchase of licences depends, among other things, on the financing possibility (central and/or apportionment).
Fee / charge
Campus licences are centrally financed without any apportionment.
Within the framework of the Microsoft state contract, the medical dean's office is involved in the form of a levy.
When selling and passing on individual workstation licences, employees or institutes are reimbursed for expenses by the cost centre, students are charged a flat-rate expense allowance.