Service Category: Server & Data
The central database service provides database servers for services of the kiz as well as for other users of the University of Ulm, which are operated with the database management system PostgreSQL. Typically, these databases are used as a backend for web applications.
- Provision of redundant hardware that is regularly renewed.
- Provision of PostgreSQL databases with a storage volume of up to max. 10 - 20 GB per database. Access is via PostgreSQL-standard mechanisms such as JDBC, ODBC and native PostgreSQL applications.
- Ensuring that current versions of the PostgreSQL database software are used and that security updates are applied promptly.
- Data is encrypted during transmission between server and client, but is stored in plain text on the server. The storage of personal data is therefore not permitted for data protection reasons.
- In the event of server failure or complete loss of data, the database can be restored with transaction accuracy up to the time of the failure by archiving the transaction logs. The user must ensure regular backups in the form of PostgreSQL dumps.
- The helpdesk of the kiz provides 1st level support.
All members and affiliates of the University of Ulm.
24 x 7 x 365
The use of the service is applied for informally by e-mail to the helpdesk of the kiz. The following information must be provided in the application:
- Type of application
- Space requirements
- Performance, availability and backup requirements
Fee / Charge
No fees or charges will be invoiced for the service.
Communication and Information Centre (kiz)
Please contact us if you have questions or problems related to the kiz services:
Monday - Thursday
09:00 h - 12:00 h and 13:00 h - 15:30 h
Friday 09:00 h - 12:00 h
+49 (0) 731 / 50 - 30000
+49 (0) 731 / 50 - 1230000
Research in the library stock: monographs, textbooks, magazines, university publications, e-books, e-journals, national licenses, and the contents of the institutional repository OPARU.