Reading room & study environment
Service category: Library Use
Reading room & study environment are a central service of the libraries. Library stocks are readily accessible in the reading rooms, in the stack of the Central Library (BZ) and in the library at Helmholtzstrasse (HH). Media of all kinds and on various areas of expertise are offered in open-stack format in two locations (BZ and HH). A general stock of monographs and textbook collections are available in systematic arrangements (BZ), including several copies of all important textbooks for each subject at Ulm University. The libraries also hold special Semesterapparate (semester-relevant text collections for certain lectures, BZ + HH) as well as the collection Studium Generale (extracurricular presentations that are open to everyone, BZ).
Reading areas and work stations are available in the buildings in all openly accessible areas. They can be found in the reading rooms, the stack areas, as well as work cubicles and group work rooms. 'As place of study' the library also offers electronic work stations for collective and interactive studying in small groups. These facilities provide large monitors and numerous opportunities to connect mobile devices.
- reading room assistance (e.g. information desk, assistance with devices like photocopier, printer, scanner, microfiche scanner)
- independent access to media in the open-stack stocks
- reading spaces and work stations (incl. power sockets and sometimes reading lamps)
- work cubicles (reservation necessary)
- group work rooms with multimedia equipment (e.g. wall screens)
- research PCs (kiz account necessary)
- supervised scanners
- microfiche readers and micro film scanner
- WLAN throughout the entire reading room (kiz account necessary)
- designated laptop-free zone
- lounge area with children's corner
- earplug dispenser
This is an overview (pdf) of the opening hours of the Central Library incl. reading room.
This service is available to eligible users without requiring a separate application. Work cubicles and group work rooms must be pre-booked for the desired time slots. This requires both kiz account and affiliation/membership with the University.
This service is free of charge.
Communication and Information Centre (kiz)
Service Points are locations where you can visit us personally.
kiz from A to Z