Service category: Library Use
Lending information resources is a key library function. The Library primarily serves the University community, but we additionally offer our services to the wider academically interested public.
Materials from the general collection are arranged in systematic order according to subject fields and most are kept on open shelves in two library locations: the central library (BZ) and the departmental library Helmholtzstraße (HH). There are also separate special collections such as the textbook collection (BZ) which contains multiple copies of heavily used textbooks for all subjects taught at the University, course reserves (BZ and HH), and studium generale (BZ). For standard loans, patrons can use the self-service machines available in each of our libraries.
- Lending and return of materials (incl. reading room lending of mobile devices, e.g. tablets, beamers, etc.)
- Provision and distribution of reserved materials (local and interlibrary loans)
- Registration of external customers and activation of the library number of the student card or membership card of university members for library use
- Control when entering the reading room (bags, drinks, etc.)
- Collection of fees by chip card
- Initiation of replacement purchases
- Rental Allocation of working cabins and group working rooms Key management
- Processing of inquiries, extensions of deadlines, etc. by e-mail (OTRS) and telephone, semester apparatuses, hand apparatuses, etc.
- Organization of literature orders
- Provision of semester apparatuses and books for handsets
- Sale of books (especially LUIS manuals).
- Sale of single-user licenses.
- Escalation of complaints
- Information especially during times when the Service Point Information is closed.
- Assistance with the operation of devices (surveillance scanner, microfilm scanner, photocopier, printer, self-service terminal)
- Support in case of problems with the locker system
- Output and, if applicable, invoicing of binding work and posters (after the end of the opening hours of the printing service point)
- Support of users in the use of the self-service terminal
- Return box (outside opening hours)
All individuals and institutions who qualify to use kiz services (see Benutzungsordnung).
Please consult our Overview (PDF) for the central library Circulation Desk and reading room opening hours. Online services and a book return box are available 24/7.
- University members with a kiz account must present their University ID at a Circulation Desk in order to have their account activated.
- External users must apply for a kiz service card. The first step is to complete the Online-Registrierung provided through the Higher Education Services Portal. Afterwards registration must be completed by presenting a personal identity card or passport at a Circulation Desk.
There is a charge for the following services:
- Orders through our Photocopy and Digital Document Service
- Issue of a kiz service card
- Failure to return or renew material by the due date
- Replacement of damaged or lost material
- Postal delivery
Please refer to the latest Entgelt- und Gebührenordnung (PDF).
Communication and Information Centre (kiz)
Please contact us if you have questions or problems related to the kiz services:
Monday - Thursday
09:00 h - 12:00 h and 13:00 h - 15:30 h
Friday 09:00 h - 12:00 h
+49 (0) 731 / 50 - 30000
+49 (0) 731 / 50 - 1230000
Research in the library stock: monographs, textbooks, magazines, university publications, e-books, e-journals, national licenses, and the contents of the institutional repository OPARU.