Further news, informations and material concerning lecture recording: E-Learning-Portal kiz and ZLE.
Lecture Recording (OpenCast)
Service Category: Teaching & Learning Support
Lecture recording is a system for recording, processing and providing lectures and other events on the premises of Ulm University.
Opencast is our online video platform, which is also integrated into Moodle. Opencast is the primary way to provide pre-produced videos in Moodle courses.
You can also use Opencast Studio to produce simple screencasts and publish them directly to your Moodle course.
- Automated recording of events in sound and vision on the premises of Ulm University.
- The projector image and the lecture hall sound are recorded automatically. Optionally and only after prior inspection by the kiz, a camera image can also be recorded
- Customers can order a recording using a form on the kiz website. Depending on the room and the requirements of the customer, the administrator plans a recording with the recording equipment permanently installed in some rooms or alternatively with mobile recording equipment and (if required) personnel of the kiz.
- The recording technology for opencast is currently installed in lecture halls H1, H2, H3, H11, H12, H13, H14, H15, H16, H20, H22 and in multimedia room N27 in the east of the university as well as in lecture halls H45.1, H45.2 and in the lecture hall of psychology W47.0.501.
- Possibility to upload existing or externally produced video material via the interface between Opencast and Moodle.
- Rudimentary editing possibilities for trimming the recordings by the kiz team.
- Automated processing of recordings in a server cluster according to defined workflows.
- The recordings are made available (usually within 24 hours) with a web-based video player, which is either publicly available worldwide or is securely integrated in the LMS. The URL to the player is provided to the customer.
- The recording in the video player can only be viewed by default. It can also be made available for download there as an option. (since March 2020 the download is mandatory due to the Corona situation).
All lectures taking place in Ulm University rooms can be recorded, provided that the rooms are equipped with the necessary technology or the mobile equipment can be operated there. On request, University events outside the university campus can also be recorded, provided that technical requirements and personnel are available. All members of the university can request recordings.
Viewing recorded lectures
Publicly accessible recordings can be accessed worldwide from any Internet access and by any Internet user. Records protected in the LMS can be accessed worldwide from any Internet access, but only by authorized users.
24 x 7 x 365 (commissioning of recordings, use of permanently installed equipment, editing and playback of recordings).
Recording with mobile equipment is only carried out within the limits of the availability of personnel, i.e. normally 8 am to 6 pm on workdays. Announced maintenance every Tuesday 7:30 - 8:30 a.m., regular downtime usually < 5 min.
Access to this service is possible for authorised user groups without a separate application.
Lecture recording is ordered through a web form and is planned or carried out after being checked by administrators.
Recording with fixed recording equipment is possible without restrictions. Mobile equipment and personnel for its operation, on the other hand, are only available in limited quantities. For competing orders for mobile recordings, the "first come - first serve" principle is applied
Recorded lectures will either be made available to the public or within the LMS (for which separate application modalities apply), depending on the client's wishes.
Charges / Fees
No fees will be charged for the service.
Communication and Information Centre (kiz)
Please contact us if you have questions or problems related to the kiz services:
Monday - Thursday
09:00 h - 12:00 h and 13:00 h - 15:30 h
Friday 09:00 h - 12:00 h
+49 (0) 731 / 50 - 30000
+49 (0) 731 / 50 - 1230000
<form action="https://rds-ulm.ibs-bw.de/link" method="get"> <input id="SearchField" name="simple" data-placeholder="Search for ..." placeholder="Search for ..." type="text" /> <button type="submit" class="hidden-button">Search</button> </form>
In cooperation with the kiz the Center for Teaching Development provides several handouts and support services for online teaching:
In addition, you will have the opportunity to talk directly to experts about your online teaching in our joint consultation hours: