- Activate the VPN connection already before starting your search.
- Journal articles: Use the EZB (journals) and DBIS (databases) to find out about our licences for electronic resources.
- Monographs/Textbooks: Limit your search in our local catalogue in the "advanced search" to the media type e-book.
- Purchase requests: If we do not have your required title available electronically, please send us a purchase request. We will check whether the title can be purchased electronically and provide a link as soon as possible.
Service Kategorie: Library Use
Licensing of digital editions of scientific journals, e-books, and literature and fact databases (e-resources) for the University of Ulm. The selection of content is demand-oriented and, depending on the product, is coordinated with the users, the faculties or the university management and carried out on their behalf. The service ensures online access to licensed electronic information media via the platforms of the providers.
- Coordination of needs with the faculties and organisation of test access
- Coordination and implementation of the licensing of new e-media
- Implementation of the faculties' orders through supplier comparisons, obtaining offers, negotiating conditions and discounts
- Price negotiations with publishers, cooperation with consortia and national licence libraries
- Market analysis of new media offers, licensing forms and developments
- Ensuring that the legal licensing requirements for the products to be licensed are met, including review and negotiation of the licensing agreements
- Technical evaluation of the desired products for usability by the target group
- Ensuring online access for the authorised user groups to all licensed contents and presentation in the corresponding reference systems such as the electronic journals database (EZB) and the database information system (DBIS)
- Ordering the E-Media
- Administration of the publishers' Library Admin accounts
- Ensure access to the licensed media from outside the campus network using suitable procedures (e.g. via VPN, Shibboleth or EZ-Proxy)
- Information about access and usage on the website of the kiz
- Optimization of the functions of the local integrated library system for the product offers
- Inventory, license and invoice documentation for e-media in the library system and in electronic resource management for the documentation of archive rights of electronic holdings, licenses, license agreements and integration of external usage statistics
- Collection and evaluation of inventory and usage statistics
The service is available to members and institutions of the University of Ulm. The access to the e-journals in full text is restricted by licensing law to members of the University of Ulm or to all persons who are entitled to receive a kiz account.
Information and consulting services are provided differently for other user groups (other libraries, teaching hospitals, schools etc.).
24 x 7 x 365 (online use of e-media)
Mon - Thu 09:00 - 15:30, Fri 09:00 - 12:00 (in person)
Institutions and members of Ulm University can use the features relevant to them without a separate application.
A VPN connection must be established to access e-resources from outside the campus network. For selected products, access without VPN is possible via EZ-Proxy, for other products access is only possible within the campus network (without remote access). For both procedures a kiz account is required which members of the university receive upon request (employees) or automatically with the enrollment (students). Users who are not entitled to a kiz account can only use this service within the public PCs in the reading room area (walk-in users).
Fee / Charge
No fees or charges are charged for the service.
Communication and Information Centre (kiz)
Please contact us if you have questions or problems related to the kiz services:
Monday - Thursday
09:00 h - 12:00 h and 13:00 h - 15:30 h
Friday 09:00 h - 12:00 h
+49 (0) 731 / 50 - 30000
+49 (0) 731 / 50 - 1230000
Research in the library stock: monographs, textbooks, magazines, university publications, e-books, e-journals, national licenses, and the contents of the institutional repository OPARU.
more to: E-Medien
You can also use electronic information media (e.g. e-journals) from home if you connect to the campus network via VPN.
Access at the University Hospital: Electronic media licensed by the university can only be accessed via the Terminalserver Chrome Uni-Ulm. We recommend that you use this browser for the complete literature search. For questions about the Terminalserver Chrome Uni-Ulm please contact the ZIK Service Desk Hotline.