Service category: Library Use
The library catalogue or OPAC (Open Public Access Catalogue) is the web front end of the library system aDIS/BMS for users of the kiz library services. The OPAC allows you to search for information media and offers a range of self-service functions. This includes, for example, account details, pre-orders, reservations, or inter-library loan.
A mobile library catalogue is available for smartphones and tablets.
The kiz library catalogue has a local version (stocks of the kiz) and a global version (local stocks + external sources).
|The library catalogue::global contains the local stocks of the kiz, but also license-free e-resources and numerous external sources from international information providers (Resource Discovery System). It is best to use English keywords in this search portal.||The library catalogue::local contains the stocks of the kiz: monographs, textbooks, magazines, university publications, e-books, e-journals, national licenses, and the contents of the institutional repository OPARU. Here you can also find old stocks that are not referenced in the SWB Online Catalogue.|
|Open: Library catalogue::global||Open: Library catalogue::local|
- literature search in the stock of the library (with various distinction modes)
- reservation of print and electronic media
- extension of print and electronic media
- ordering media through inter-library loan
- view current course reserves (Semesterapparate)
- submit purchase requests
- view lists of new acquisitions (arranged by subject area)
- access to personal account in the library system and account details
- view and delete personal messages
The library catalogue is available to the public. Its search functions give insights into the stocks of Ulm University, while the inter-library loan form lets you search the stocks of other library networks.
Local orders, inter-library loans or reservations require an account in the library system (see application modalities).
24 x 7 x 365
There is no fix time period for maintenance works. Since maintenance works often require to shut down the system for longer periods of time, they are mostly done overnight from 5 p.m. to 10 a.m. the next day. Major updates and other time-consuming works on the database might be done on weekends.
- Accounts are created automatically for University members when they log into the library catalogue with their kiz account for the first time.
- External users can create an account via the Portal kiz Web Services by entering their surname, first name, address, date of birth, email address and password. After confirming their details via an email that gets sent to the provided email address, they are able log into the library catalogue. Underage users also need a written consent from their parents or legal representatives.
This service is free of charge.
Communication and Information Centre (kiz)
Please contact us if you have questions or problems related to the kiz services:
Monday - Thursday
09:00 h - 12:00 h and 13:00 h - 15:30 h
Friday 09:00 h - 12:00 h
+49 (0) 731 / 50 - 30000
+49 (0) 731 / 50 - 1230000
Order a Callback
Support Portal (Uni internal)
Using self-service functions of the Identity Management System (IDM): Administer permissions, subscribe to services, change passwords.
Research in the library stock: monographs, textbooks, magazines, university publications, e-books, e-journals, national licenses, and the contents of the institutional repository OPARU.
With about 400 keywords you will get direct access to our services. If something isn't listed, please contact our Internet Editorial Office.
more on: Library catalogue
Inter-library loan order for books
(mp4 | 3:02 min.)
Inter-library loan order for articles
(mp4 | 3:03 min.)
For literature search that goes beyond the local stocks at Ulm University there are several regional and supra-regional online catalogues of other library networks available.
Elsevier Emergency Supply
Members of the university can order articles from Elsevier journals (from 2018) free of charge.